• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For a friend - Been forced Permie to Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    My last client had a habit of making people redundant only for them to appear again contracting 3 months later after a cool down period.
    Ahh, this is another gotcha.

If you get made redundant and paid off then the first £30k is tax free, but I think there may be some restriction on this if you go back to the client within a certain time frame so be doubly careful!
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

If you get made redundant and paid off then the first £30k is tax free, but I think there may be some restriction on this if you go back to the client within a certain time frame so be doubly careful!
      I think the only risk would be attracting the attention of our friends at HMRC - if the company were making lots of staff redundant and then hiring all back a week later at the same salary but though an agency (to avoid EEr's NIC's) then HMRC could consider it to be a sham arrangement and start demanding money from all involved.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        I think the only risk would be attracting the attention of our friends at HMRC - if the company were making lots of staff redundant and then hiring all back a week later at the same salary but though an agency (to avoid EEr's NIC's) then HMRC could consider it to be a sham arrangement and start demanding money from all involved.
        Why would employing via an agency reduce EEr's NIC's. Surely the agency will have to pay them and the company will have to cover those agency's costs..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Why would employing via an agency reduce EEr's NIC's. Surely the agency will have to pay them and the company will have to cover those agency's costs..
          Yes you would think but it often doesn't happen like that - we've had loads of people come to us following the changes for CIS workers and their rates haven't changed despite the fact they are now liable for class 1 NIC's rather than class 2 and 4. In this case the agency could refer them to a brolly thereby passing on the liability for NIC's and employment rights but without the client necessarily having to pay out much more than they were before

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomo1971 View Post

To me, this seems pretty bad from a data protection point of view, although I guess the calls from the agency were to the permies work phones.

Thoughts?
            Minor point, but the Data Protection Act covers personal information - work phones and work email address aren't covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Yep. Quite often there was a delay before a contractor could start because they were still in their cooling down period. It was utterly ridiculous.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Without someone shopping them to HMRC and HMRC acting on that, how would HMRC know that this is what they are doing?

If the company was ever investigated, then they would have something to argue, but I can't see how HMRC would know the ins and outs of the company.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Without someone shopping them to HMRC and HMRC acting on that, how would HMRC know that this is what they are doing?

If the company was ever investigated, then they would have something to argue, but I can't see how HMRC would know the ins and outs of the company.
                  The P45 would show an amount of earnings which hadn't been subject to tax and then the same employee would show up again in the firm's PAYE records - unless it was a regular occurrence I can't see that it would be likely that there would be a problem though

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Are they being forced to go contracting to get their jobs back or is their role gone but the agent can place them as knowledge of the client is useful? My last client had a habit of making people redundant only for them to appear again contracting 3 months later after a cool down period.
                    Short cooling off period.

Other people I know have had to have more than a year even if there was nothing dodgy going on.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The P45 would show an amount of earnings which hadn't been subject to tax and then the same employee would show up again in the firm's PAYE records - unless it was a regular occurrence I can't see that it would be likely that there would be a problem though
                      RTI creates a myriad of red flag opportunities with automatic anomaly checks including (amongst a million other things) events occurring shortly after redundancy payments. People who usually operate honestly within the system are soft targets for HMRC the moment they appear to have crossed any line!

Comment

Working...
                      X