• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Overseas - Paid by UK Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting Overseas - Paid by UK Company

Chaps / Chapesses

First, for the benefit of NLUK, I've searched and read a lot and I'm still utterly confused I'm leaning towards speaking to an Australian account to try and clarify my position but I'm hoping someone could clue me in beforehand.

I may have the chance to do 6 months in Oz at some point in the near future, however the client company will be based in the UK.

So my first question is, can I invoice through a UK Ltd / Umbrella or do I need to start getting involved with the Australian tax system and invoice through an Australian company?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Chaps / Chapesses

First, for the benefit of NLUK, I've searched and read a lot...
    You da man!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thinking about it, despite my permie-dom I've still kept the PCG membership, think I'll give them a call in the morning.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

This man is cut out!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

IIRC, our Aussie pal who got banned said that you can't work through a ltd in Oz - you have to go with an umbrellaish setup.

Comment

You could use an umbrella company in this situation; if the contract extended beyond the six months you may need to reconsider as, beyond this point, you may become liable for local taxes
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              You could use an umbrella company in this situation; if the contract extended beyond the six months you may need to reconsider as, beyond this point, you may become liable for local taxes
              Agreed.

Most OECD territories have a 6 month rule meaning that once you are working in the country for longer than that you will be liable for local tax.

On the basis that you have to be "on site" to do your work there, if you plan on staying longer then you will need to investigate setting up a local company.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                Chaps / Chapesses

First, for the benefit of NLUK, I've searched and read a lot and I'm still utterly confused I'm leaning towards speaking to an Australian account to try and clarify my position but I'm hoping someone could clue me in beforehand.

I may have the chance to do 6 months in Oz at some point in the near future, however the client company will be based in the UK.

So my first question is, can I invoice through a UK Ltd / Umbrella or do I need to start getting involved with the Australian tax system and invoice through an Australian company?
                What I did in this situation was:-

a) Invoice the UK company which was where my direct contract was. The aus outfit was part of the same multinational
                b) Aussies rented my apartment.
                c) Aussies gave me a car
                d) Aussies gave me 50$ a day. I opened a bank account at a local bank and it was transferred into there
                e) Pretended any potential tax problems din't exist and if they did would eventually get sorted out somehow with a.

My visa was a business visa valid for a year, I stayed 9 months.

Was I in full compliance with Aus rules ?? I believe so until month 7.
                Did I care ? No.

Comment

Does a word "traffie" mean anything to anyone in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by mrv View Post
                    Does a word "traffie" mean anything to anyone in this thread?

Thank you for this most helpful contribution
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X