• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance Again

Applied for job on jobserve. Returned missed call from agent. Agent asked if I had or ever had SC clearance. Answered no but I am willing to undergo SC as stated in the job advert.

Then told that JobServe edit the adverts because it would be discrimination not to put in the '...willing to under go...' phrase.

Job not starting until Novermber so obviously the client is making sure people without clearance have a large lead time to get it sorted before going on site.

Agent didn't even have an english name. Cheeky foreigner.

Who can I complain too?

Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns.

About what? Speaking to a foreigner or an @gent. Or both?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

www.dva.mod.uk, assuming it's for an MOD job. They can't do anything directly, but the agency will get a letter of complaint from them

I also know of a parallel debate on this subject where this might be useful ammo - PM me an email address.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I had that a while back got told i couldn't work unless i had SC now.

Told the agent i have been previously cleared but it has lapsed so a renewal shouldn't take long and was told it was no good.

Informed the agent it was against the law to discriminate against me as SC was not to be used as a batering tool for jobs and he put the phone down and never heard back since.

It seems they don't like to come across people who have a clue...

Comment

I've seen a few SC clearance contracts I could go for - if I had SC clearance. I've also seen good BC clearance contracts, which (although it only takes a week or so to sort out) I've been put off applying by the wording in the ad.

Has anyone here actually been successful in getting these sort of contracts without already having SC clearance ?

My understanding is that you need sponsorship (ie. existing client) and it takes months to sort out, in which case the contract will have been nabbed by someone who already has it - or rather that the agent chooses them over the others because they get their money earlier.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

<Naïve mode on>
            What's involved with getting SC (time/cost/etc)?
            Is this something we should have just in case a contract comes along, or just for those of us who generally only work in roles that require it? Perhaps it's a nice to have line on CVs?
            <Naïve mode off>

Comment

It shouldn't takle that long for it to be processed unless you have wierd circumstances.

Secondly yes you need to be sponsored you can't just go to the MOD and ask for it, and it lapses after a set period of time (3 years now i think).

If you have had it previously there is little reason you won't get it again (unless you have been stupid and started blowing people up or trafficing drugs etc)

Unfortunatly you need to have a valid reason to get it, if you didn't you could just get your LTD Co to sponsor you.

Comment

Bit of a nightmare, as Mal posted they have a website that has a FAQ section.

Regardless of what it says, SC takes 4-5 months, if you are lucky and you must be sponsored by a company. It lasts for 5 yrs, but if you leave the environment were you need the clearance then it expires after 12 months, transferring it is not a problem.

DV on the other takes....let me see, 8 months now and waiting, personal interviews, very detailed credit checks and the best one, which I am still arguing about is interviewing your line manager. Doesn't exsist as a contractor so they are still banging their heads.

Any agent I've dealt with doesn't seem to know how it works and this increases the time it takes to get the clearance. Sent me the incorrect forms for DV an extra wait of 4 months.

Even if you have it it is not all smooth running, as they ask you, "what is your certificate number?"

Don't have/get one you numpty, grow a fecking brain.

HTH

Comment

Found this to answer my own question...

http://www.contractoruk.com/002675.html

Isn't the CUK website fantastic...

Comment

So what you're saying is that's practically impossible to compete for a contract requiring SC clearance against SC-cleared contractors, if you haven't currently got it. So unless you're the only one in the frame for the contract and the MoD project manager has been far-sighted enough to plan resources 6 months in advance (!), then you may as well not bother.
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X