• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat rate VAT - Telecom and IT consultancy difference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat rate VAT - Telecom and IT consultancy difference

Hi,

I am working as a consultant in networking. My job responsibilities are network consulting, network security, pre/post-sales in networking and troubleshooting. Does networking fall under IT consultancy?. Or is it under telecom?. Telecom is currently charged at 12%, IT consultancy is charged at 14.5%.

Which one do I need to choose?. My company is registered as computer consultancy, bank account was telcom & then changed consultancy. Should i change everything to telecom?.

I dont see the difference anywhere.

thanks for your help.
    -ramesh.

Originally posted by ramesh View Post
    Hi,

I am working as a consultant in networking. My job responsibilities are network consulting, network security, pre/post-sales in networking and troubleshooting. Does networking fall under IT consultancy?. Or is it under telecom?. Telecom is currently charged at 12%, IT consultancy is charged at 14.5%.

Which one do I need to choose?. My company is registered as computer consultancy, bank account was telcom & then changed consultancy. Should i change everything to telecom?.

I dont see the difference anywhere.

thanks for your help.
    -ramesh.
    What did your accountant say when you asked them? Have you tried calling the VAT helpline?

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      What did your accountant say when you asked them? Have you tried calling the VAT helpline?
      WHS.

The purpose of the different rates for different industries is to account for anticipated levels of input VAT on expenses which would obviously vary depending on what you do.

IMO what you do comes under IT consultancy but a quick call to the VAT helpline should give you your answer - get a call reference number so if it ever gets queried in future you have some comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by ramesh View Post
        Ultimately this is self-assessed, you do not get approval for this from HMRC. Going from your description, I would select IT consultancy in your situation.

Craig

Comment

Initial verbal discussions with the Flat Rate VAT advice centre was that they can not confirm the category over the phone. You could write to HMRC VAT advice centre, detailing your company activities asking them to advise on the correct flat rate VAT category. I did that few years back and HMRC advised on the category to use in writing.

I was advised that any self selectected category if challenged could lead to difference plus interest plus possible penalties if chosen category selection cannot be justified. If advised in writing by HMRC, then if the category is subsequently found to be incorrect no interest or penatlties will be charged & you will be advised of a date when to stop using the original category.

Comment

Originally posted by eazy View Post
            Initial verbal discussions with the Flat Rate VAT advice centre was that they can not confirm the category over the phone. You could write to HMRC VAT advice centre, detailing your company activities asking them to advise on the correct flat rate VAT category. I did that few years back and HMRC advised on the category to use in writing.

I was advised that any self selectected category if challenged could lead to difference plus interest plus possible penalties if chosen category selection cannot be justified. If advised in writing by HMRC, then if the category is subsequently found to be incorrect no interest or penatlties will be charged & you will be advised of a date when to stop using the original category.
            Interesting that HMRC cannot give advice on the phone; I suppose they want to cover their arses in case somebody gives them inaccurate information.

As Martin says, I'd go for IT consultancy in OPs case but if they really aren't certain this sounds like the best thing to do.

Comment

Sounds like IT to me.

If you were up a mast in a field then maybe telecoms.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Thank you guys

Thank you guys. I contacted the accountant and he said its safe to leave it as computer consulting. Anyway, I am going to write a letter to HMRC

Comment

Similar Position

I'm in a similar position, I contract as a systems/infrastructure engineer and I'm currently down as IT Consultancy however there is a computer repair category which i'm unsure whether i could be classed as.

Comment

Originally posted by NBHolt View Post
                    I'm in a similar position, I contract as a systems/infrastructure engineer and I'm currently down as IT Consultancy however there is a computer repair category which i'm unsure whether i could be classed as.
                    So have you tried following the advice already offered in this thread?

Comment

Working...
                    X