• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One man band LTD company & Auto Enrolment in a pension scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I'd say that you are potentially within the scope of auto enrolment but whether you HAVE to auto enroll probably depends on how much you pay yourself and your wife as salary. There are thresholds.

My wife is company secretary but she also performs other roles in return for a modest salary. It's well below the threshold for AE though.

My own accountant is still doing his own research into this so didn't have a definitive answer for me yet but I'm not too worried about it.

If your spouse is just a company officer then this wouldn't normally make her a worker unless she also has a contract of employment.
    As I understand it, if the two spouses are owners/directors (and without contracts of employment of course), then the amount of salary they take is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
      As I understand it, if the two spouses are owners/directors (and without contracts of employment of course), then the amount of salary they take is irrelevant.
      Hmm not sure, unless I've misread the notes, there is no requirement for a physical 'contract' to be in place, but if you/your wife are drawing a salary then an 'implied' contract exists.

Although the notes referred to them, I didn't see any threshold figures on salary levels either.

Where are the Accountants on CUK when you need them? Any other time they're all over stuff like a rash
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
        Yes I was more referring to when the spouse is just an employee or has a contract of employment.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          Hmm not sure, unless I've misread the notes, there is no requirement for a physical 'contract' to be in place, but if you/your wife are drawing a salary then an 'implied' contract exists.

Although the notes referred to them, I didn't see any threshold figures on salary levels either.

Where are the Accountants on CUK when you need them? Any other time they're all over stuff like a rash
          Thresholds here:

Automatic enrolment earnings threshold | The Pensions Regulator

They appear to be inline with the personal tax allowance.

I don't think receiving a salary automatically implies that the person is a worker. It's not unreasonable to receive a basic salary related to your role as company officer. Nevertheless, if the salary is below the above thresholds I don't think there is any requirement to auto enroll, although I think technically your spouse should have the option to opt in.

Comment

I guess this might be worh pointing out: even if auto enrolment doesn't apply to us, it looks like we might have to submit this declaration of compliance. Anybody know about this?

Automatic Enrolment Declaration of compliance (registration) | The Pensions Regulator

Looks like we still have 3 years until this becomes relevant anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post

Hiding as we don't fully understand either

My understanding is that:

1 a director or secretary, collectively "officer" can receive a salary without having a contract of employment. In whch case AE doesn't apply regardless of numbers of officers and salary amounts

2 a non officer, eg spouse on a salary but not appointed as secretary - brings the company into AE - contract can be written on verbal, but as the person is not an officer it is employed there must be a contract.

I'm going to get my tax manager to specifically ask TPR to confirm our understanding on this

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              I guess this might be worh pointing out: even if auto enrolment doesn't apply to us, it looks like we might have to submit this declaration of compliance. Anybody know about this?

Automatic Enrolment Declaration of compliance (registration) | The Pensions Regulator
              Its my reading as well, I noticed it when I revisited AE last week having let it stew for a year. In which case to do the Declaration you have to nominate a pension scheme as well which, I presume, means registering with NEST or similar.

Again getting my office to check with TPR

Its a nuisance if all one person / officer only companies need to do this if they are otherwise outside AE.

The alternative may be that a one person / officer only company just ignores AE and declaration, and if TPR sent an enforcement letter of some sort, reply with "we are exempt". Not ideal.

It may well be that with the bulk of small companies not yet in AE the TPR hasn't thought the practicalities through yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post

1 a director or secretary, collectively "officer" can receive a salary without having a contract of employment. In whch case AE doesn't apply regardless of numbers of officers and salary amounts

2 a non officer, eg spouse on a salary but not appointed as secretary - brings the company into AE - contract can be written on verbal, but as the person is not an officer it is employed there must be a contract.

I'm going to get my tax manager to specifically ask TPR to confirm our understanding on this.
                Thanks Jessica.

So based on the above understanding (& pending confirmation), in my circs;
                • Wife is officer (company secretary) & receives salary, but there is no contract of employment, apart from one that is 'implied' as she receives a salary from MyCo.
                • I am officer (Co Dir) & receive salary.

AE doesn't apply according to your current understanding?
                Clarity is everything

Comment

I think that's the case, but need to check with TPR.

It's hoop jumping. You and her can opt out anyway, it's just how much paperwork is needed to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post

I'm going to get my tax manager to specifically ask TPR to confirm our understanding on this

Its my reading as well, I noticed it when I revisited AE last week having let it stew for a year. In which case to do the Declaration you have to nominate a pension scheme as well which, I presume, means registering with NEST or similar.

Again getting my office to check with TPR

Its a nuisance if all one person / officer only companies need to do this if they are otherwise outside AE.

The alternative may be that a one person / officer only company just ignores AE and declaration, and if TPR sent an enforcement letter of some sort, reply with "we are exempt". Not ideal.

It may well be that with the bulk of small companies not yet in AE the TPR hasn't thought the practicalities through yet.
                    Update from a conversation with TPR

~ companies whose payroll comprises one director only, with any other directors or secretaries unpaid can notify the Pension Regulator by email that they are exempt from Auto Enrolment

~ companies with two people on payroll, regardless of salary levels and officer status need to register with TPR and nominate a pension scheme, eg Nest, even if salaries are below thresholds.

In summary the only exemption from registration and nomination of a pension scheme is where there is only one person on the payroll and they are a director.

This is our current understanding from talking to TPR. How it pans out n practice, well, anyone's guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X