• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Dodgy" offshore schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Dodgy" offshore schemes

In an interesting twist, I've been contacted recently by two separate (I assume, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's not all one company with a million different trading styles) IoM companies offering to pay 3% of my client's contact value if I send them their way. Makes you wonder how much these guys are creaming off unsuspecting contractors. Well, I guess I know, really. Its 100% less whatever their quoted take home percentage is. All QC backed mind.

Oh yes.

And 'Venables' might be a name mentioned if pushed...

(And I'm sure a little research would confirm whether there is a relationship between the companies.)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

A few years ago a mate was trying to get me on one of the IoM offshore schemes, I spoke to them but didn't feel comfortable with it. He's been very cocky the last few years about how much he's taking home, but when I saw him last week was looking very sheepish after finding out all his mates have been contacted by HMRS for the Financial Year before he joined so thinks he will get it soon. There was talk of personal bankruptcy. Not a position I would like to find myself in

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
        A few years ago a mate was trying to get me on one of the IoM offshore schemes, I spoke to them but didn't feel comfortable with it. He's been very cocky the last few years about how much he's taking home, but when I saw him last week was looking very sheepish after finding out all his mates have been contacted by HMRS for the Financial Year before he joined so thinks he will get it soon. There was talk of personal bankruptcy. Not a position I would like to find myself in
        I was in the same boat in late 2010 but thankfully declined. I was on contract at a client where a fellow contractor spoke to me about it. He (let's call him Don) brought me out with a mate of his (a retired builder who helped set up the scheme) and plied me with drink, saying the scheme was legal and I'd be a fool not to etc. I then realized that Don must be involved in recruitment too with a nice kickback. The next day he asked if I was "still interested" and I said I'd done some research and decided "Thanks, but no thanks." All seemed a bit too good to be true. That was followed by harassment at work from Don who said "That ****head likes paying full tax" etc and "What the ***** man? I thought we were mates?" etc. Wonder what that ****head is up to now. His neck in enquiry perhaps.
        Last edited by ronanm; 9 December 2014, 13:45. Reason: spelling :)

Comment

Originally posted by ronanm View Post
          I was in the same boat in late 2010 but thankfully declined. I was on contract at a client where a fellow contractor spoke to me about it. He (let's call him Don) brought me out with a mate of his (a retired builder who helped set up the scheme) and plied me with drink, saying it was legal and I'd be a fool not too etc. I then realized that Don must be involved in recruitment too with a nice kickback. The next day he asked if I was "still interested" and I said I'd done some research and decided "Thanks, but no thanks." All seemed a bit too good to be true. That was followed by harassment at work from Don who said "That ****head likes paying full tax" etc and "What the ***** man? I thought we were mates?" etc. Wonder what that ****head is up to now.
          And the same could be asked of our mates Geoff and Vallah...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...schemes-3.html
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            And the same could be asked of our mates Geoff and Vallah...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...schemes-3.html
            Ah yes - happy days
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

And are Underscore2, RebeccaLoos and Tramlines (and his brother) in the HMRC Enquiries sub-forum using different Login IDs?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...emeplus-3.html

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                And are Underscore2, RebeccaLoos and Tramlines (and his brother) in the HMRC Enquiries sub-forum using different Login IDs?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...emeplus-3.html

There were some cracking comments in that thread:

"Bradley, with the greatest of respect, the way I have conveyed my understanding may not be technically correct to the last detail. But I do know that when it comes to tax my brother is very well qualified and would not advisely incorrectly. He spent over 3 hours meeting the providers I use with me and was satisified with it.

You obviously have a degree of knowledge, but its unqualified"

He was talking about an offshore EBT
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I've just learned that the holding company of the provider I spoke with yesterday bought an accounting firm with 1,000 contractors on their books with the specific aim of farming these clients into the "solution". My back-of-a-fag-packet calculations suggest that this could be worth about £15million in fees to the provider. This is crazy money.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                    I've just learned that the holding company of the provider I spoke with yesterday bought an accounting firm with 1,000 contractors on their books with the specific aim of farming these clients into the "solution". My back-of-a-fag-packet calculations suggest that this could be worth about £15million in fees to the provider. This is crazy money.
                    Well that puts a whole new perspective on buying out accountants!

Comment

Working...
                    X