• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing company address on HMRC website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing company address on HMRC website

Any idea how to do it? First time I've moved since starting contracting.

This link is the most promising, and I can certainly phone them or write to them, but would prefer to do so online.

The HMRC online Services link in section one seems most promising, but when I login, I see no options to update my company address.

Think I will just have to bite the bullet and phone them, how quaint!

I'm not 100% on the below, but my understanding is:

Corporation tax should change automatically following registered office address.
    VAT & PAYE you'll need to manually change. This can be done online from your "organisation" HMRC portal login as long as you're enrolled for the various online services.
    Self assessment you'll also need to manually change. This can be done from your "personal" HMRC portal login as long as you're enrolled for this.

Potential problem is not all clients are fully enrolled for the various online services...but if you are, it's fairly easy.

If you're not, enrolling typically requires them sending a letter with activation code out to the address they have by post. If you've just moved this will only work if you've put mail forwarding in place.

Comment

Having been caught out by this before, make sure you update your address EVERYWHERE as HMRC do not have one single unified record.

You should be able to update your address online for most things. You should make sure you change:

* Your general correspondence address on your online account
      * The address on your business corporation tax record
      * The address on your personal record
      * The address on your employer/PAYE record
      * The address on your VAT record

I had some VAT issues years ago and didn't find out for ages as correspondence was going to my old address even though I thought I had updated.

Don't forget to update companies house too if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Having been caught out by this before, make sure you update your address EVERYWHERE as HMRC do not have one single unified record.

You should be able to update your address online for most things. You should make sure you change:

* Your general correspondence address on your online account
        * The address on your business corporation tax record
        * The address on your personal record
        * The address on your employer/PAYE record
        * The address on your VAT record

I had some VAT issues years ago and didn't find out for ages as correspondence was going to my old address even though I thought I had updated.

Don't forget to update companies house too if necessary.
        I got caught out with this assuming their systems would be linked which was pretty stupid of me looking back. Have to say I just let my accountant handle this to be honest. Seemed to go pretty smoothly.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I got caught out with this assuming their systems would be linked which was pretty stupid of me looking back. Have to say I just let my accountant handle this to be honest. Seemed to go pretty smoothly.
          Yes, must remember: HMRC don't do joined up anything.

Comment

thanks team, I think I'll just phone them!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Same - SJD are in the process of doing mine. They sent me a several separate forms and letters that I had to sign - glad I didn't bother trying to do it myself.

Comment

Working...
              X