• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming mileage without a car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming mileage without a car

Is it possible to claim the normal 45p a mile mileage allowance if you don't have a car?

e.g. An employee works for you and claims mileage. He loses his licence and his wife takes him to/from meetings/events. Would it be possible for him to claim the 45p mileage allowance even though he is not the official driver?

If this is not possible where could I find regulation that says it's not. I can't find anything about this anywhere.

Cant see why not.
    as long as its valid business mileage, then it does not matter who drives as long as its his car.

Also, you claim 5p a mile as a passenger if you're travelling on business & a work colleague is driving.

Comment

Originally posted by AMH View Post
      Cant see why not.
      as long as its valid business mileage, then it does not matter who drives as long as its his car.

Also, you claim 5p a mile as a passenger if you're travelling on business & a work colleague is driving.
      Sorry I should have been clearer - it's not his car. Does that make a difference?

Comment

There's nothing in the technical guidance that stipulates you have to own the car or be the driver.

Employees using own vehicles for work: definition and examples of mileage allowance payments

So I don't see why not.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          There's nothing in the technical guidance that stipulates you have to own the car or be the driver.

Employees using own vehicles for work: definition and examples of mileage allowance payments

So I don't see why not.

But that says employees using own vehicles for work? I know what you mean there doesn't seem to be any guidance about this at all. For example you could use the bus but claim mileage looking at that which would mean you'd get more money than the bus fair would cost?

Comment

Sorry, but the above posters are wrong.

The employer can pay what they like.

The tax free allowance for the said employee would be 5p per mile. Anything paid above that would be a taxable benefit.
            Last edited by John8589; 8 February 2015, 18:39.

Comment

Originally posted by John8589 View Post
              Sorry, but the above posters are wrong.

The employer can pay what they like.

The tax free allowance for the said employee would be 5p per mile. Anything paid above that would be a taxable benefit.

Would it be the employee that has to pay the tax on it? How would this be worked out?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes, the employee would be taxed on anything paid to them above the rate of 5p per mile.

Comment

John - thanks - can I just ask you where I would find this information please?

Comment

I base my answer on legislation. It can be found in the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, Section 229, Paragraphs 1 & 4 being relevant.

Basing decisions on HMRC and .Gov guidance is risky business!
                    Last edited by John8589; 8 February 2015, 19:04.

Comment

Working...
                    X