• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I buy myself out of a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I buy myself out of a contract?

Let's say I was in a lengthy contract with a 4 week notice period on both sides.
    And let's imagine I wanted to get out of the contract really quickly, within the notice period.
    This would be breaking the terms of the contract, and I would be a scoundrel.
    - So what is the penalty, in legal terms?
    - I assume I will not be flogged or thrown in jail.
    - So what happens to me and is it just a case of paying some compensation?
    - If so, what is the mechanics behind that? How might that be calculated?

Of source this is all hypothetical.

Many thanks in advance

Originally posted by fivefootseven View Post
    Let's say I was in a lengthy contract with a 4 week notice period on both sides.
    And let's imagine I wanted to get out of the contract really quickly, within the notice period.
    This would be breaking the terms of the contract, and I would be a scoundrel.
    - So what is the penalty, in legal terms?
    - I assume I will not be flogged or thrown in jail.
    - So what happens to me and is it just a case of paying some compensation?
    - If so, what is the mechanics behind that? How might that be calculated?

Of source this is all hypothetical.

Many thanks in advance
    Legally speaking, the agent can pursue you for 'loss'. With limited info, this would be loss of 30 days commission.

I know this is not in general, so frivolous answers are frowned upon, but getting yourself out of a contract is easy if you're 100% sure you want out. Telling a perm manager to g f*** himself usually works (and yes, I have).
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

It will probably cost you however much money the agency sill owe you as you have **** all chance of them paying you it. Besides that and a crap load of angry threats I shouldn't think much else will happen.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X