• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expense paid by direct debit - what date for expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expense paid by direct debit - what date for expense?

I've made a bit of an error - I purchased some business insurance from QDOS but chose to pay via direct debit (I'm not sure why in hindsight - I was just starting out).

I'm paying for it out of my personal account and wish to claim this expense from my limited. I have received an invoice from QDOS for the full amount on 20th February this year (with the mention that it's to be paid as N equal instalments).

My question is - do I class this as an expense for the full amount on the 20th February and pay myself back the full amount (leaving me to worry about the direct debits) or do I expense each month that I actually pay the instalment as a separate item?

I'm guessing it's the former but I can't find anything to confirm this. Lesson learned - don't muck around with direct debits for such small amounts!

I'd use the invoice date as it's the only documented date to pin it to.

Mind you I never pay by Direct Debit.

Comment

Depends if you re using cash or accrual basis accounting for VAT... For continuing services the VAT point is the invoice date so that is what I would use.

Doesn't really matter how you pay for it as long as it is paid but paying it personally then raising an expense claim against YourCo and recovering it that way gets your money back and the VAT accounted for (is there VAT on insurance, incidentally? Have a read of this...).

Or ask QDOS if you can change the payment vehicle, I suspect they won't be that worried who is paying the bills.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by russtifer View Post
        I've made a bit of an error - I purchased some business insurance from QDOS but chose to pay via direct debit (I'm not sure why in hindsight - I was just starting out).

I'm paying for it out of my personal account and wish to claim this expense from my limited. I have received an invoice from QDOS for the full amount on 20th February this year (with the mention that it's to be paid as N equal instalments).

My question is - do I class this as an expense for the full amount on the 20th February and pay myself back the full amount (leaving me to worry about the direct debits) or do I expense each month that I actually pay the instalment as a separate item?

I'm guessing it's the former but I can't find anything to confirm this. Lesson learned - don't muck around with direct debits for such small amounts!
        The former seems to be the simplist way although need to think about cutting across your current and next financial year if you do so.

Comment

Working...
        X