• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Review IR35 Fail.. What now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Review IR35 Fail.. What now?

Hi All

I've worked as a Ltd Company contractor for 7 years, and have worked for a large IT outfit via two agencies for the last 2.5 years (IT Client Co -> "Solution Provider" -> Agency -> Me).

Recently I've been extended for a further six months, which coincided with my Insurance Renewal, and the free contract review. I sent the contract wording off (between My Ltd. Co and Agency) for review and it came back a fail for IR35, the main point was that the contract kept referring to me as an "Agency Worker", and mentioning "Agency Worker Regulations". Contract review said contract should be between the agency and my Limited Company as an entity in it's own right, which is not under direct control.

I've not raised this with the Agency yet as at the time it was the start of the new contract, they were asking for signed paperwork back and delaying payments so I didn't want to upset the apple cart.

Without knowing what the other contractors at ClientCo have in their contracts (I know some are with a different agency) what's my best course of action?

1) Raise it with Agency
    2) Raise with "Solution Provider"
    3) Do nothing?

Any thoughts? As my agency employs several contractors for ClientCo, I'm assuming they're all on the standard contract, but as it stands it's not IR35 friendly.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Put the money to one side that you may have to pay if ever investigated and carry on invoicing.

Shred the contract review

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
      Put the money to one side that you may have to pay if ever investigated and carry on invoicing.

Shred the contract review
      How long are they to backdate though? last contract? Last ClientCo? Since Incorporation?
      Last edited by rl4engc; 20 April 2015, 14:48.
      Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
        How long are they to backdate though? last contract? Last ClientCo? Since Incorporation?
        IR35 is on a contract-by-contract basis.

So as long as you've been with this client would be the starting point. That doesn't mean that they won't then look at all your previous contracts, but that would be a separate investigation.

If you are an IPSE member, then they will help fight your case if you are investigated, but wouldn't cover any penalties that you would have to pay. Whether in a case where you have reviewed the contract and been advised that it's inside they would fight it or tell you to pay up, I don't know - but my gut feeling is that they would still help you fight it, since IR35 is on the basis of actual working practices rather than the paperwork.

If you aren't an IPSE member, then sign up now (use member referral code IPSEMGM0005 ) regardless of your IR35 status - it will cost over £1000 to get the benefits that they offer on the open market, plus you'll be in time to vote in the council elections which open for voting next week (hint: vote for the best few candidates there )
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X