• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountancy fees direct debit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a fine, it's a levy for choosing to pay by a method which isn't their preferred one. Or think of it as a £5 a month increase, which they will waive if you pay by direct debit - same as many utility providers do.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Accountancy fees direct debit

Originally posted by SueEllen;
      BTW it only takes logging into your business bank account to set up the direct debit.
      That's a standing order. A direct debit needs to be set up by the payee. But it's still no effort.

Comment

I can see both sides. I suspect I pissed some people off in the same way when I pushed for Standing Orders practice wide a decade or so ago.

It is a b2b relationship, but the two problems you can have as an accountant is (a) some of our clients - not CUK members I suspect - don't treat it as such, its more a b2c relationship with the amount of hand holding and imbalance of knowledge, and if thats the case you need to protect your revenue inflow from people who no matter how much you nag them are not able to keep sensible paperwork and manage their money. (b) the margins are thin, and cutting collection costs and bad debt risk helps.

But its a bit off they won't take a standing order, and I would tend to stand my ground there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
          I can see both sides. I suspect I pissed some people off in the same way when I pushed for Standing Orders practice wide a decade or so ago.

It is a b2b relationship, but the two problems you can have as an accountant is (a) some of our clients - not CUK members I suspect - don't treat it as such, its more a b2c relationship with the amount of hand holding and imbalance of knowledge, and if thats the case you need to protect your revenue inflow from people who no matter how much you nag them are not able to keep sensible paperwork and manage their money. (b) the margins are thin, and cutting collection costs and bad debt risk helps.

But its a bit off they won't take a standing order, and I would tend to stand my ground there.
          I'd agree with most of the above...though there is quite a difference for the accountant between standing order and direct debit. A few disadvantages of standing order:
          - if amounts change, possibly due to VAT rates, extra charges or discounts, the client won't always reflect this. You can then end up with lots of small under/overpayments.
          - admin-wise, they mean lots of individually small receipts into the bank. For our DDs we get one big receipt of all DDs collected that month. Makes it easier to reconcile our end.
          - the above also helps with planning our expenditure, as we know exactly when we'll get a big wodge of cash.
          - with standing orders the client sets the reference. Quite often we see clients set it as the current invoice number at the time they set it up...not so helpful for future months.
          - bizarrely, we've had a few clients who paid by standing order leave, but not cancel the standing order. Yeah it might sound happy days, but we can't legitimately keep that money. One client 6 months on we were still nagging them to cancel the standing order and us refund the payments.

We don't have any additional charges for different payment methods, but I can see the temptation. I think if they'd worded it differently (eg "admin fee" rather than "fine"), whilst you still wouldn't have been over the moon, it might've annoyed you less.

Comment

I prefer S/O largely due to the fact that I have control on the amount of money that leaves my bank account.

D/D has the guarantee that if anything goes wrong/too much collected/etc you can invoke the guarantee and everything is sweet -- the cynical side of me says that means spending hours on the phone/visiting your bank to prove that I really am in the right.

S/O for me.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
            X