• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Creditors Voluntary Liquidation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
    Sorry the company owes HMRC the money.

The company is insolvent

He could be struck off and liable for Directors loan, that's pretty much it
    Unless negligent, in which case HMRC can go after the directors for acting illegally.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Unless negligent, in which case HMRC can go after the directors for acting illegally.
      Agreed. And is what I think will happen if the OP does not pay up. Ignorance is not an excuse. Being a company director is supposed to be a serious matter.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Agreed. And is what I think will happen if the OP does not pay up. Ignorance is not an excuse. Being a company director is supposed to be a serious matter.
        CT is a company tax, not a personal tax.
        Directors Loan and/or Illegal dividend payments are different.

You stated he will have to pay CT over 3 years, this is incorrect. The company pays CT and it is insolvent.

Comment

You stated he will have to pay CT over 3 years, this is incorrect. The company pays CT and it is insolvent.
          The company is insolvent because dividends in excess of available reserves were taken. If these illegal dividends are reversed, then the directors owe the company money, and the liquidators can chase the directors to repay enough money to the company to repay the tax debt.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            The company is insolvent because dividends in excess of available reserves were taken. If these illegal dividends are reversed, then the directors owe the company money, and the liquidators can chase the directors to repay enough money to the company to repay the tax debt.
            What Meridian Said.

To be fair, you have to read several posts before you get the full story.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              They can chase the director for the illegal divis and/or the directors loan if the liquidators can prove this to be the case.

They CANNOT chase for CT (where the recovery of said funds may or may not cover the COMPANIES exposure to HMRC)

Comment

http://www.realbusinessrescue.co.uk/...sponsibilities
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Creditors Voluntary Liquidation

They can chase the director for the illegal divis and/or the directors loan if the liquidators can prove this to be the case.

They CANNOT chase for CT (where the recovery of said funds may or may not cover the COMPANIES exposure to HMRC)
                  I agree, that's why I said "repay money to the company", so the company can repay the CT. Separate legal entities.

Where the OP has gone wrong imo (apart from paying illegal dividends) is in getting a liquidator involved. Depending on how aggressive they are they may chase him, or they may drop it.

OP, have a look here:
                  http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/th...liable.252282/

Comment

Excellent news! I am going to take all my money in the company as dividends - then go into liquidation and forget the CT. I did not know this was possible. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Excellent news! I am going to take all my money in the company as dividends - then go into liquidation and forget the CT. I did not know this was possible. Cheers
                      But if you don't have teh CT to cover the dividends they will be declared illegal
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X