• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Creditors Voluntary Liquidation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditors Voluntary Liquidation

I have started a Ltd company in 2011 and everything going smooth until 2012. In 2013, I took big amount on director loan and paid the whole amount by taking dividends in 2013. I have paid corporation tax and VAT for 2011. But not paid for 2012 due to no funds.

Then I have approached liquidator and went for creditors voluntary liquidation. Then liquidator gone through my books and looking for further information. He is asking why I took dividends without paying corporation tax in 2013 for the tax year 2012. Actually I took dividends to pay directors loan and cleared that. But same time I haven’t paid corporation tax (only) as there is no funds and no trading.

I am worrying that what will happen now. Any thoughts?

Did the company have the reserves available to pay a dividend?

If not the dividends will be illegal and as such the directors loan will remain outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post

If not the dividends will be illegal and as such the directors loan will remain outstanding.
      +1... Dividends have to come out of the after corporation tax reserves....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Did you have an accountant at the time and was this his advice or have you bumbled through on your own?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like you owe the money to HMRC? Well - company does - but you are a director?

This has taken a while to come to light - why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post

No. Used dividends to pay the director loan. Then the trading got stopped as the client moved the business to a different country. Hence unable to get funds to pay the CT.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Did you have an accountant at the time and was this his advice or have you bumbled through on your own?
              Unable to get much help from the accountant... as he did a very bad job.. not monitored accounts.. only VAT returns and monthly pay slips.. only worried about year transactions while submitting returns.. not checked in advance.. I am very unlucky to have him..

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Sounds like you owe the money to HMRC? Well - company does - but you are a director?

This has taken a while to come to light - why is that?
                Very new to trading and not aware of rules.. accountant less helpful on monitoring.. finally into problems.. went to liquidation.. after 12 months liquidator came with that question..

Comment

Originally posted by spec0203 View Post
                  Very new to trading and not aware of rules.. accountant less helpful on monitoring.. finally into problems.. went to liquidation.. after 12 months liquidator came with that question..
                  You will have to explain that to them.

I am amazed that HMRC are unaware they are owed money.

Do you have any money to pay HMRC on behalf of the company?

If you can pay them, then "technical breeches" are not such a big deal if disclosed. I did it once myself. I inadvertently "traded while insolvent". Accountant wrote to HMRC. They got their cash. No harm done.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    You will have to explain that to them.

I am amazed that HMRC are unaware they are owed money.

Do you have any money to pay HMRC on behalf of the company?

If you can pay them, then "technical breeches" are not such a big deal if disclosed. I did it once myself. I inadvertently "traded while insolvent". Accountant wrote to HMRC. They got their cash. No harm done.
                    Thanks for the reply.

I have owed the money to HMRC around 17k and no funds in the company account as there was no trading. Hence took advice of friends and went for CVL (Creditors voluntary liquidation). After 12 months liquidator asking why you took dividends when there is a CT is due.

I am not doing any trading after company made insolvent.

I have left the country after the company made insolvent and came recently to UK to find a job.

Comment

Working...
                    X