• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant Recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Simon C here - Chief Executive Officer of SJD. Independent survey data showed that 84% of SJD clients would rate the service 7/10 or better. Overall that's pretty good tho' it shows that we have more to do. We closely examine the reasons why clients might leave our service and thus how we can improve our service. Current levels of client leavers; for most the hardest measure of client satisfaction, at May '15 are at the lowest monthly level in our recorded history. We, like all our competitors, need to manage the change of client accountant with real care, clients need consistency of service. I’d ask anyone who is not getting the service they expect from us to get in touch with me direct and I will help fix the issue.

Comment

Simon , how long have you been maintaining recording of clients leaving?

Comment

not Brookson

I was with Brookson since 2004 but they have deteriorated so much that I couldn't stand it any more and instructed them to close down my Brookson company in January this year. Am still waiting for them to complete it and there's all sorts of skeletons coming out of the cupboards that HMRC are finding in the course of their investigations. Before them I used small independents and never had a problem.

Comment

What are Nixon Williams charging these days. The site says £95+VAT but does that include doing your personal tax return and the usual accountancy duties?

I know I could call them but don't want to be sucked into a sales whirlpool just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            What are Nixon Williams charging these days. The site says £95+VAT but does that include doing your personal tax return and the usual accountancy duties?

I know I could call them but don't want to be sucked into a sales whirlpool just yet.
            It tells you right there on the website.

http://www.nixonwilliams.com/premier...ntancy-service

Comment

Eeeexcellent

Personal tax return is included. From that page: "Personal Tax Return for one director, if received by 30th September after the end of the tax year. A small charge may apply if you join part way through the tax year."

Regarding bookkeeping, anyone know what form this takes ? My current accountant issues a rather patchy Excel spreadsheet which I update.

I note NW require copies of all sales invoices. Interesting. Current guys don't ask for that.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                I note NW require copies of all sales invoices. Interesting. Current guys don't ask for that.
                Not now, you can use their Vantage system, so it is all online.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by anthony View Post
                  Personal experience; yes there has been - but someone else may come along and so no all is still good for them......
                  Yes I have been with SJD for 4 years and had great service.

Comment

New accountant sought near Sheffield

Hi,

I've been with SJD for around 8 yrs and when I first started I had a good relationship with my accountant who was actually called Lovely believe it or not.
                    Recently I have been passed from pillar to post with no notice and one of the girls I was given didn't seen able to answer my basic questions and has to
                    go and keep checking with someone.
                    The final straw for me was being asked to go on direct debit a few weeks ago (presumably because of the takeover I knew nothing about) and then just getting a letter
                    to say the fees are going up nearly 10% in the middle of an accounting year which really annoys me.
                    NW still are advertising £95 for the same service so why do SJD think they are worth £120?
                    When you feel more like a commodity than a person I think its time to move on.

Im currently on the bench but expect to start again for the autumn so I will need a new accountant.

Comment

Hi,
                      I'm considering changing my accountant as well, despite the fact I've been with them for a few months only.
                      There have been a few things but what really annoys me is the time it takes them to reply to emails, it has never been less than 2 days and I find this unacceptable for £150/month.

I don't mind to use a software to enter timesheets and expenses, do I don't really need a keys in hand package but I'd like to have snapshots and overviews of my business (the fancy graphs).

Any recommendation?

Comment

Working...
                      X