• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Summer Budget 2015 - Limited Company Directors pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Budget 2015 - Limited Company Directors pay

With the new announcement of
    a) change to dividend tax
    b) change to the NIC Employment Allowance

(as detailed here Summer Budget 2015 denounced as 'bad' for contractors :: Contractor UK)

its started me wondering if low salary and large dividends are still the most tax efficient?

The dividend tax change now means that only £5k is taxed at 20% (corp tax) and the rest upto the upper tax bracket at 27.5% (20% CT + 7.5% new dividend tax).

This still seems to be lower than 32% (20% IT + 12% Employees NIC) if pay above NIC primary threshold (the Employers NIC being soaked up by the NIC Employment Allowance), but has added in an additional 7.5% on a proportion of dividends.

For me, continuing to pay via dividends works out at about an additional £4500/yr in tax

As there are 2 directors in my company, I was trying to think of some options. The NIC Employment Allowance is being removed for 1 man director companies, but would this apply if you have 2 directors?

Should it still be possible for us to claim this, then we could make use of this. Currently only one director is paid salary as the other director had a separate job. The other job had pay over the annual allowance, so if a salary was paid by our company, 20% IT would be paid, which at the time was equivalent to the 20% CT on dividends. As dividends were less paperwork than PAYE, we didn't explore this further.

However, I believe you have a separate NIC allowance per job, as opposed to IT allowances were salaries are combined and one allowance is applied. Therefore should we pay a company salary up to the primary threshold and not to take the sum of the two salaries above the basic rate band, then this would be taxed at 20% IT. This would then save some of the additional 7.5% from the additional dividend tax.

Is my understanding correct? are there any flaws? are there any other ways around these tax changes?

Thanks

Originally posted by stphnstevey View Post
    With the new announcement of
    a) change to dividend tax
    b) change to the NIC Employment Allowance

(as detailed here Summer Budget 2015 denounced as 'bad' for contractors :: Contractor UK)

its started me wondering if low salary and large dividends are still the most tax efficient?

The dividend tax change now means that only £5k is taxed at 20% (corp tax) and the rest upto the upper tax bracket at 27.5% (20% CT + 7.5% new dividend tax).

This still seems to be lower than 32% (20% IT + 12% Employees NIC) if pay above NIC primary threshold (the Employers NIC being soaked up by the NIC Employment Allowance), but has added in an additional 7.5% on a proportion of dividends.

For me, continuing to pay via dividends works out at about an additional £4500/yr in tax

As there are 2 directors in my company, I was trying to think of some options. The NIC Employment Allowance is being removed for 1 man director companies, but would this apply if you have 2 directors?

Should it still be possible for us to claim this, then we could make use of this. Currently only one director is paid salary as the other director had a separate job. The other job had pay over the annual allowance, so if a salary was paid by our company, 20% IT would be paid, which at the time was equivalent to the 20% CT on dividends. As dividends were less paperwork than PAYE, we didn't explore this further.

However, I believe you have a separate NIC allowance per job, as opposed to IT allowances were salaries are combined and one allowance is applied. Therefore should we pay a company salary up to the primary threshold and not to take the sum of the two salaries above the basic rate band, then this would be taxed at 20% IT. This would then save some of the additional 7.5% from the additional dividend tax.

Is my understanding correct? are there any flaws? are there any other ways around these tax changes?

Thanks
    Hi,
    I think you need to look at company and personal tax separately to make it easier to understand. For 2 Director companies (if other director is your spouse) - my understanding is you can claim employment allowance but please await for more clarification on this space. I still think paying minimum wage and taking higher Div is worthwhile than worrying about employment allowance.

Dividend tax - yes this is the area worst affected but remmember from 2016/17 there no such thing as Gross Dividend and Net Dividend, both are same.

Pls see below calcs - if you keep dividends within the higher tax thresholds. Increase in Divs are offset by increase in personal allowance and change in Net/Gross Divs.

2015/16 2016/17 Increase
    Gross Salary 10,600 11,000 400
    Net Dividends 28,607 32,000 3,394
    Gross Dividend 31,785 32,000
    Total Gross 42,385 43,000
    NI -305 -353 -48
    Dividend Tax 0 -2,025 -2,025
    NET IMPACT 1,721

Happy to answer any questions.

Comment

Earning 42385

Hi I've just worked out the following if a single director is earning the current 40% limit for 2015-16 taxation and the new method.

_________Earnings (NET)___Gross___Cost to Company_____To Pay HMRC
      Salary____8064___________8064____8064_____________ _0
      Dividend__30888.9_________34321__42901.25_________ __0

So for 42385 you would earn £38952.90 after all taxed payed, costing your company £50965.25

Now using the new figures for the following year and still earning the same 42835 to make comparison easier

______________Earnings (NET)____Gross_____Cost to Company____To Pay HMRC
      Salary_________8064____________8064______8064_____ _________0
      Tax Free Div____5000____________5000_______6250____________ __0
      7.5 Div________27121.925_______29321_____36651.25_____ ______2199.075

So for 42385 you would earn £40185.925 after all taxed payed, costing your company £50965.25 using the new tax rules

Is this correct?

I have assumed that as they are scraping the tax credits, your dividend is no longer worth 1/10th more for counting towards your income, am I right in assuming this?

I'm sorry if i'm posting in the wrong place, but seemed relevant to the original question.

Comment

Originally posted by con7ractor View Post
        Hi I've just worked out the following if a single director is earning the current 40% limit for 2015-16 taxation and the new method.
        Your cost to company numbers are wrong. I suggest you use an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          Your cost to company numbers are wrong. I suggest you use an accountant.
          Can you clarify which numbers you think are incorrect?

The cost to company is what funds you would have to received into the company.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X