• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New budget and BLT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    If you own the property outright then you wont be needing to offset the rental income, i.e. you will be paying tax on the whole of the income.
    Correct, but that's how things already stand at the moment - the budget hasn't made things any worse for unfurnished cash-only purchase landlords.

In fact, it will give them a competitive advantage for setting rent levels against those who have heavily leveraged.

Comment

Can someone explain.. example

Contractor has property that generate 20K pa rental income

Offset income against:
      Interest on mortgage £1000 per month (12 K pa)
      Other rental expenses (agency fees, maintenance etc)

How would this change in the new budget??
      I can't help with the question but I will definitely be having a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sarnie for tea tonight...

B

Comment

Phased Reduction

In response to this thread, the changes to BTL are as follows:

The government will restrict the amount of income tax relief landlords can get on residential property finance costs to the basic rate of income tax. Finance costs include mortgage interest, interest on loans to buy furnishings and fees incurred when taking out or repaying mortgages or loans. No relief is available for capital repayments of a mortgage or loan.

Landlords will no longer be able to deduct all of their finance costs from their property income. They will instead receive a basic rate reduction from their income tax liability for their finance costs. To give landlords time to adjust, the government will introduce this change gradually from April 2017, over four years.

The restriction in the relief will be phased in as follows:
        • in 2017/18, the deduction from property income will be restricted to 75% of finance costs, with the remaining 25% being available as a basic rate tax reduction
        • in 2018/19, 50% finance costs deduction and 50% given as a basic rate tax reduction
        • in 2019/20, 25% finance costs deduction and 75% given as a basic rate tax reduction
        • from 2020/21, all financing costs incurred by a landlord will be given as a basic rate tax reduction.

This restriction will not apply to landlords of furnished holiday lettings.

At the moment I'm not entirely sure how the tax reduction will work and whether it will be available against any tax due on the rental or against total tax. The later sounds quite generous but I'm thinking it will be the former which means high rate tax payers with rental properties making a loss could be significantly worse off it the tax reducer isn't available to carry forward.

Martin
        Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post

The government will restrict the amount of income tax relief landlords can get on residential property finance costs to the basic rate of income tax. Finance costs include mortgage interest, interest on loans to buy furnishings and fees incurred when taking out or repaying mortgages or loans. No relief is available for capital repayments of a mortgage or loan.

Landlords will no longer be able to deduct all of their finance costs from their property income. They will instead receive a basic rate reduction from their income tax liability for their finance costs. To give landlords time to adjust, the government will introduce this change gradually from April 2017, over four years.

• in 2017/18, the deduction from property income will be restricted to 75% of finance costs, with the remaining 25% being available as a basic rate tax reduction
          • in 2018/19, 50% finance costs deduction and 50% given as a basic rate tax reduction
          • in 2019/20, 25% finance costs deduction and 75% given as a basic rate tax reduction
          • from 2020/21, all financing costs incurred by a landlord will be given as a basic rate tax reduction.

At the moment I'm not entirely sure how the tax reduction will work and whether it will be available against any tax due on the rental or against total tax. The later sounds quite generous but I'm thinking it will be the former which means high rate tax payers with rental properties making a loss could be significantly worse off it the tax reducer isn't available to carry forward.

Martin
          Contratax Ltd
          Talk about effing complicated - so... during the transition period, a percentage of the total interest, which is a percentage of the outstanding finance - anyway, where was I, yes a certain percentage of the interest will be at the marginal percentage tax rate, while the remaining percentage will be at a twenty percent rate.

Comment

Interesting article in the Telegraph, it indicates that forming a LTD could be a way forward now?

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              Talk about effing complicated - so... during the transition period, a percentage of the total interest, which is a percentage of the outstanding finance - anyway, where was I, yes a certain percentage of the interest will be at the marginal percentage tax rate, while the remaining percentage will be at a twenty percent rate.

That's right, a percentage will be at marginal tax rates (just like it all is now) and a percentage will be at 20% but the devil will be in the detail as to just how the 20% tax reducer will work.

Simplifying things they have not!

Martin
              Contratax Ltd

Comment

Please can someone fix the title, it's driving me mad not being able to make a joke reply in the serious forums!
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Please can someone fix the title, it's driving me mad not being able to make a joke reply in the serious forums!
                  Looool, just noticed the mistake

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post

Martin
                    Contratax Ltd
                    Thanks, but what about other costs not relating to the mortgage/financing of the property, e.g. maintenance/repairs, furnishing, bill payments etc?

Comment

Thanks, but what about other costs not relating to the mortgage/financing of the property, e.g. maintenance/repairs, furnishing, bill payments etc?
                      Hi Sandy

As far as I'm aware, the only other major change to expenses is the removal of the wear and tear allowance on furnished rentals. I believe more detail on this will be released in the summer.

Martin
                      Contratax Ltd

Comment

Working...
                      X