• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear. Im betting this original offer was verbal only....

And agency knows full well whats its doing and knew they could get person to start gig without contract.

Another example of why its a no-no...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Tell them you will leave site and can the role if it is not amended, they will soon pay up

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        There is no such thing as a bad agency, there are good and bad agents in any organisation.
        I would have agreed with you until I read a thread this week where not one poster had good things to say about one particular agency.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I would have agreed with you until I read a thread this week where not one poster had good things to say about one particular agency.
          This one?

Quite a few one-time posters there. Just sayin like...

Comment

One defence against underhand agency practices like the OP has stumbled into is to download template contracts from QDOS or IPSE and edit them to reflect the actual company names and rates / other terms etc.

Then sign two copies and send to the agency via recorded delivery making certain that they arrive, and are signed for, before commencing work on the client site. These terms will be the ones that legally apply in a dispute if no other terms are agreed instead and it puts the onus on the agency to play ball. I always do this (using a variant of the QDOS template) and have even had agencies accept the terms in preference to their own, surprisingly.

Now I have an edited pro forma with MyCo's standard terms set out it is just dates and agency / client Co names and numbers etc as well as the rate and other details so doesn't take more than an hour or so to do.

Boo

Comment

If the offer of the higher rate was made in writing and you accepted it in writing then that would IMHO constitute a legally binding contract
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                One defence against underhand agency practices like the OP has stumbled into is to download template contracts from QDOS or IPSE and edit them to reflect the actual company names and rates / other terms etc.

Then sign two copies and send to the agency via recorded delivery making certain that they arrive, and are signed for, before commencing work on the client site. These terms will be the ones that legally apply in a dispute if no other terms are agreed instead and it puts the onus on the agency to play ball. I always do this (using a variant of the QDOS template) and have even had agencies accept the terms in preference to their own, surprisingly.

Now I have an edited pro forma with MyCo's standard terms set out it is just dates and agency / client Co names and numbers etc as well as the rate and other details so doesn't take more than an hour or so to do.

Boo
                Good idea but I would suggest that all thats needed is to follow the GOLDEN RULE - DONT START WITHOUT A CONTRACT.

I've had some right run-ins with agents about this.... But I always win. Deal is you give me contract, then it gets reviewed, then we agree it, then I start.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Good idea but I would suggest that all thats needed is to follow the GOLDEN RULE - DONT START WITHOUT A CONTRACT.

I've had some right run-ins with agents about this.... But I always win. Deal is you give me contract, then it gets reviewed, then we agree it, then I start.
                  Fair enough, but IME clients often have end dates that are fixed in stone and these may not change just because you delayed the start date to extract a contract out of the agency. This can result in lost income while wrangling with the agent.

My method is just as effective as yours and means you can earn the money that is there for the taking in the week that the agency is prepping a contract. And if it all goes TU and you go up before a judge then your terms apply, not the agency's.

Boo

Comment

Working...
                  X