• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy agency?

Hello all,

I started a contract last week (monday) on the basis that it was a certain rate per hour with Lorien, they confirmed it in an email with me, they then sent me the contract 5 days after starting (so last friday), and on the contract was a rate £2.51 per hour less than what i was told, now this may not sound like much but when the contract is not paying a great amount anyway, this adds up to nearly £400 a month doing standard hours. I forwarded the email to Lorien and questioned it, and all they said was sorry but it was a mistake and I am in fact on the lower rate, I am not happy to say the least, but they also got my start and end dates wrong too, they didnt even have the decency to take a hit on it and honour the original agreement and put me on the rate they promised to begin with. It was basically a case of take it or leave it, another guy in here has had a similar problem with them, so they sound like a dodgy cowboy agency, anyone else had any problems with Lorien???

Cheers

You started an engagement without a contract?

Do you have in writing the original rate and dates? I would have thought that constituted a basic contract, and they can't just change the terms part way through.

IANAL though.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by likewise View Post
      I started a contract last week (monday) on the basis that it was a certain rate per hour with Lorien
      On what basis? phone call? email?

Comment

Originally posted by likewise View Post
        Hello all,

I started a contract last week (monday) on the basis that it was a certain rate per hour with Lorien, they confirmed it in an email with me, they then sent me the contract 5 days after starting (so last friday), and on the contract was a rate £2.51 per hour less than what i was told, now this may not sound like much but when the contract is not paying a great amount anyway, this adds up to nearly £400 a month doing standard hours. I forwarded the email to Lorien and questioned it, and all they said was sorry but it was a mistake and I am in fact on the lower rate, I am not happy to say the least, but they also got my start and end dates wrong too, they didnt even have the decency to take a hit on it and honour the original agreement and put me on the rate they promised to begin with. It was basically a case of take it or leave it, another guy in here has had a similar problem with them, so they sound like a dodgy cowboy agency, anyone else had any problems with Lorien???

Cheers
        It is an old trick that was invented by Eurolink . They do it to both client and contractor hoping it is too small for anyone to take issue with.
        we use it all the time
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Yeah I have had this done, it sucks but you have to weigh up which is worse 95% of something is better than 100% of nothing while you find another gig.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Never start a gig without seeing your contract at the very least. Get it fully reviewed optimally.

What does your new contract say about notice periods?

If you've got the agreed rate by email and you genuinely haven't seen a contract i'd be all over them like a rash. That was agreed and changing after the event, even though you started without a contract, is totally out of order. You need to be threatening to walk off site until they reconsider.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 13 July 2015, 16:25.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Worked for Lorien twice, one of the better agencies in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Worked for Lorien twice, one of the better agencies in my experience.
                You must have dealt with some really bad agencies then....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Never, TEK weren't great but never had any woes like people post on here since I started in 1992 ish...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    There is no such thing as a bad agency, there are good and bad agents in any organisation. That's why some people have good experiences with agencies who people have had bad. There is also the fact that people have different expectations from their agents, if someone wants hand holding from their pimp and another doesn't want to see or hear from them until it's renewal time, the same agent could be both good and bad
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X