Dodgy agency? Dodgy agency?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Dodgy agency?

Nervous Newbie

Default Dodgy agency?

Hello all,

I started a contract last week (monday) on the basis that it was a certain rate per hour with Lorien, they confirmed it in an email with me, they then sent me the contract 5 days after starting (so last friday), and on the contract was a rate £2.51 per hour less than what i was told, now this may not sound like much but when the contract is not paying a great amount anyway, this adds up to nearly £400 a month doing standard hours. I forwarded the email to Lorien and questioned it, and all they said was sorry but it was a mistake and I am in fact on the lower rate, I am not happy to say the least, but they also got my start and end dates wrong too, they didnt even have the decency to take a hit on it and honour the original agreement and put me on the rate they promised to begin with. It was basically a case of take it or leave it, another guy in here has had a similar problem with them, so they sound like a dodgy cowboy agency, anyone else had any problems with Lorien???

Cheers

Contractor Among Contractors

You started an engagement without a contract?

Do you have in writing the original rate and dates? I would have thought that constituted a basic contract, and they can't just change the terms part way through.

IANAL though.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by likewise View Post
    I started a contract last week (monday) on the basis that it was a certain rate per hour with Lorien
    On what basis? phone call? email?

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by likewise View Post
    Hello all,

I started a contract last week (monday) on the basis that it was a certain rate per hour with Lorien, they confirmed it in an email with me, they then sent me the contract 5 days after starting (so last friday), and on the contract was a rate £2.51 per hour less than what i was told, now this may not sound like much but when the contract is not paying a great amount anyway, this adds up to nearly £400 a month doing standard hours. I forwarded the email to Lorien and questioned it, and all they said was sorry but it was a mistake and I am in fact on the lower rate, I am not happy to say the least, but they also got my start and end dates wrong too, they didnt even have the decency to take a hit on it and honour the original agreement and put me on the rate they promised to begin with. It was basically a case of take it or leave it, another guy in here has had a similar problem with them, so they sound like a dodgy cowboy agency, anyone else had any problems with Lorien???

Cheers
    It is an old trick that was invented by Eurolink . They do it to both client and contractor hoping it is too small for anyone to take issue with.
    we use it all the time
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

TykeLike

Yeah I have had this done, it sucks but you have to weigh up which is worse 95% of something is better than 100% of nothing while you find another gig.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

My post count is Majestic

Never start a gig without seeing your contract at the very least. Get it fully reviewed optimally.

What does your new contract say about notice periods?

If you've got the agreed rate by email and you genuinely haven't seen a contract i'd be all over them like a rash. That was agreed and changing after the event, even though you started without a contract, is totally out of order. You need to be threatening to walk off site until they reconsider.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 13th July 2015 at 16:25.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Double Godlike!

Worked for Lorien twice, one of the better agencies in my experience.

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post
    Worked for Lorien twice, one of the better agencies in my experience.
    You must have dealt with some really bad agencies then....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Never, TEK weren't great but never had any woes like people post on here since I started in 1992 ish...

TykeLike

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    There is no such thing as a bad agency, there are good and bad agents in any organisation. That's why some people have good experiences with agencies who people have had bad. There is also the fact that people have different expectations from their agents, if someone wants hand holding from their pimp and another doesn't want to see or hear from them until it's renewal time, the same agent could be both good and bad
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius