• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will entrepreneurs relief be the next thing to go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, just an uneducated guess, but my bet is on that ER will also be scrapped. The govt are clearly targeting people who "dodge" tax by using limited companies, and I have no doubt the use of ER will rise significantly this year, putting it even more in the radar (I'm sure its being looked at already).

If I had large amounts of money in my ltd, I would be planning to close it and use ER before the end of this year.

In fact from my back of the packet calculations, this may end my contracting altogether - from next year, with the dividend tax, I'm better off accepting a permie offer I was given last week.

Comment

ER was already big in use, enough to have attracted their attention, but this year it will be huge - it's only question of when now they "reform" ER - in pre-budget in Autumn, or in the new budget in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Dividends tax would go up for sure, most likely it will be aligned with income tax bands.
        As long as there is corporation tax that won't happen. They may not care about us, but they sure do care about big business, and if all the employers who can pack up and move to Singapore or something, they'll have a lot less money to play with.

The goal of the dividend tax is to try to make up for the NI they think they are losing. It may go up in coming years, but it won't go to income tax levels.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          As long as there is corporation tax that won't happen. They may not care about us, but they sure do care about big business, and if all the employers who can pack up and move to Singapore or something, they'll have a lot less money to play with.

The goal of the dividend tax is to try to make up for the NI they think they are losing. It may go up in coming years, but it won't go to income tax levels.
          They can increase it for PSCs if they get enough traction on the term for it to be acceptable as a categorisation. Welcome to FLC. It's time it went to court.

That way they distinguish us from bigco and 'regular' close companies and can stiff us for as much as they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            Tricky one.

Just me speculating, but I imagine if they did decide to make any significant changes to entrepreneurs relief, it likely would be a "from midnight tonight" change...albeit probably with some scope to allow it for disposals where there was already an unconditional obligation committed to. This seems to be what they've done with the intangible changes in the Summer budget of a couple of weeks ago.
            Appointing a liquidator is a formal step posted in the London Gazette, so if such a change were made - it would likely apply to any "future" liquidations - where the liquidator has not yet been formally appointed to take over the company.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              Appointing a liquidator is a formal step posted in the London Gazette, so if such a change were made - it would likely apply to any "future" liquidations - where the liquidator has not yet been formally appointed to take over the company.
              Be sure they and their friends would get enough warning to finish the process before any changes are implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                I would hope so. Would seem very unfair if someone made a decision and followed a course of action based upon tax law, and mid way through that process the rules change, with no ability for the person to change their mind. Once a liquidation is started it can't be reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by ian2012 View Post
                  My ltd company has about 250k sitting in cash which I'd planned to pay out slowly as dividends over the years.

Osborne shafting contractors in the budget has ruined that plan.

Should I get out now while entrepreneur's relief is still in existence and pay 10% on the cash balance.
                  Yes. Do it ASAP.

Alternatively, move overseas 'permanently' for more than 5 years to a country that doesn't tax offshore dividends, and take the lot as a tax free dividend.

Comment

Working...
                  X