• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extend yr end for pension contribution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extend yr end for pension contribution

If I extend my year end (from may15) can I make a pension contribution and offset it against 14-15 Corp Tax. Read elsewhere that this is allowable, provisionally ran past accountant. This year taking time out so will not be much profit.

Anyone done this?

Cheers

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    If I extend my year end (from may15) can I make a pension contribution and offset it against 14-15 Corp Tax. Read elsewhere that this is allowable, provisionally ran past accountant. This year taking time out so will not be much profit.

Anyone done this?

Cheers
    Don't you make pension contributions in the period April to April?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      At a guess, personal contributions in tax year, company contributions in FY.

Comment

Anyone done this?

Cheers
        All other things being equal, yes for corporation tax.

Eg if your FY was 12 months to 31/5 and you extended it to 31/7 then 14 months profits are apportioned to two CT periods in ratio 12/14 and 2/14 and you will offset to CT in that 14 month period which, I think, is what you are trying to do.

Check your pension input period with your pension provider, and consider headroom against both annual and lifetime limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
          All other things being equal, yes for corporation tax.

Eg if your FY was 12 months to 31/5 and you extended it to 31/7 then 14 months profits are apportioned to two CT periods in ratio 12/14 and 2/14 and you will offset to CT in that 14 month period which, I think, is what you are trying to do.

Check your pension input period with your pension provider, and consider headroom against both annual and lifetime limits.
          Thanks, I dont have a company pension set up (yet) but want to maximise tax efficiency in light of all the changes coming for contractors a pension makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Pensions novice here but just trying to work out tax implications for myco

Comment

Thanks, I dont have a company pension set up (yet) but want to maximise tax efficiency in light of all the changes coming for contractors a pension makes more sense.
              You should be fine then to make a payment before the end of your extended FY.

As I say check lifetime cap, and presumably annual cap will be £40k if you have no other scheme in place.

With the de-restriction of pensions over the last 18 months or so, they are, IMV, becoming a more attractive vehicle again now the pitfall of low annuity rates isn't overhanging.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Comment

Working...
                X