• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary paid in one go? And how much?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary paid in one go? And how much?

Hi there,

My ltd has been trading since mid-April. As of now, I haven't taken any salary or dividends. I've had no other income from other sources.

I'd like to extract some funds. I realise starting with a salary is the most efficient initial source because it's an expense and so my company will save on corporation tax. I contacted my accountant who said: "the salary we recommend is £8,060 as this is the National Insurance threshold". Is this correct? I thought the £10,600 was recommended because I'd be making the minimum national insurance contributions?

Anyway, the above is a minor issue. My main question is - can I take the salary as a single payment? I'm unsure how much more income my company will be earning until next April and so I'd preferably like to take the full salary payment now and then the rest as dividends. Is this possible? I've read that some directors take their pay as a single payment but, again, my accountant recommended against this as: "salary is intended to be taken regularly over the relevant months, and if you were to take the full amount then HMRC may deem that you are taking above this threshold and tax accordingly.".

If the above is true, does this mean I can't take out more than roughly half of this years £10,600 (or whatever) allowance (because it's September) because otherwise HMRC would think I was earning much more? I'm sorry - I'm a little hazy on how the PAYE stuff works (I've only ever dealt with it as a permit).

I'd appreciate any advice on this - I'm rather confused!

Thanks in advance.

You've already indicated you have an accountant so why on earth are you not asking them basic questions on how to run your company?

It's so basic 10 mins on Google and even less using the search on here will not only answer your question but actually teach you something.

Just lazy.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 20 September 2015, 13:08.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You've already indicated you have an accountant so why on earth are you not asking them basic questions on how to run your company?

It's so basic 10 mins on Google and even less using the search on here will not only answer your question but actually teach you something.

Just lazy.
      Because a bit of knowledge from other contractors will help him ask the right questions.

Technically 10,600 is the best salary but it requires making a number of payments over the course of the year and using a 2k NI rebate I believe. I don't know if there's a lot in it, maybe a couple of hundred quid a year.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
      X