• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a motorbike through a Ltd Company...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Is polishing the ninja a euphemism?
    This is the professional forums, you may think that, but I couldn't possibly comment
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
      Not necessarily, I used to work at a co where the contracts stated that once they got home the company vehicles were not to be used, no transport of family in the etc (my friends wife had to drop the kids despite the school being his route to work because of this)... Don't know if that affects the BiK or if that's even why the company did it... But its something to consider..
      Give yourself a 0 hours contract that states you have use of a vehicle for work only.

I'd speak to an accountant first though...
      That's different as it may not be insured but if it was I still think that is pushing the boundaries. The only time I try doesn't apply is if it's a pool car and then it wouldn't be on your drive. Try arguing a contractor has a vehicle that is truly for work purposes only with HMRC. Not a snowball in hell's chance.

http://www.brookson.co.uk/knowledge-...t-in-kind-tax/
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That's different as it may not be insured but if it was I still think that is pushing the boundaries. The only time I try doesn't apply is if it's a pool car and then it wouldn't be on your drive. Try arguing a contractor has a vehicle that is truly for work purposes only with HMRC. Not a snowball in hell's chance.

http://www.brookson.co.uk/knowledge-...t-in-kind-tax/
        I also know a contractor who's company has two pool cars... One that he uses and one his wife uses :0

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
          Hi Guys, Thanks for the prompt feedback. "NorthernLad" added a link to an old thread that was useful, the basics copied below:
          Would you need to pay the VAT yourself out of the sale price if it goes to an individual who isn't VAT registered?

Comment

Originally posted by smatty View Post
            Would you need to pay the VAT yourself out of the sale price if it goes to an individual who isn't VAT registered?
            If your company sells the Bike, VAT would be chargeable on the sale price, as such this should be factored into any selling price.

On the FRS this would be included as income and the FRS percentage applied accordingly.

Comment

This is an interesting thread and has me thinking as I ride to work. On the sole use for business criteria, would having another bike which is used solely for personal use suffice ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                This is an interesting thread and has me thinking as I ride to work. On the sole use for business criteria, would having another bike which is used solely for personal use suffice ;-)

Hi Gables,

If you have a banger runabout bike then yes absolutely, this will make it far easier for you to argue "look Mr Taxman, I have my own personal bike, this other shiny one here is purely for work, promise."

However beware, if Mr Taxman can then produce picks and internet forum quotes of you showing off your new toy and going off to trackdays while the banger runabout rots in the garden, then yes you will have issues.

Point being, by the looks of things this door was closed over a decade ago and if the bike is not genuinely used to help you and the Ltd Company day to day, it is best to claim mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
                  Hi Gables,

If you have a banger runabout bike then yes absolutely, this will make it far easier for you to argue "look Mr Taxman, I have my own personal bike, this other shiny one here is purely for work, promise."

However beware, if Mr Taxman can then produce picks and internet forum quotes of you showing off your new toy and going off to trackdays while the banger runabout rots in the garden, then yes you will have issues.

Point being, by the looks of things this door was closed over a decade ago and if the bike is not genuinely used to help you and the Ltd Company day to day, it is best to claim mileage.
                  Well I do have a motorbike, not a banger as such but a lovely Yamaha R1, which I do use to get to work. However I've just started this (although I commuted by bike for years previously) as a test, to continue this I would like a nice new shiny bike ;-) because it'll be under warranty etc

So if the tax man came, I would show him both bikes in the garage :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
                    If your company sells the Bike, VAT would be chargeable on the sale price, as such this should be factored into any selling price.

On the FRS this would be included as income and the FRS percentage applied accordingly.
                    Aye that's what I thought, so unless you sell it to a VAT registered business then you effectively have to take a 20% hit on the sale price...

Comment

Originally posted by smatty View Post
                      Aye that's what I thought, so unless you sell it to a VAT registered business then you effectively have to take a 20% hit on the sale price...
                      or buy new on pcp and walk away at the end then it won't matter presumably...

Comment

Working...
                      X