• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I expense only a mobile phone handset

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I expense only a mobile phone handset

I am considering buying a new mobile phone handset through my limited company. I already have sim-only contract in my personal name, so the limited company would only pay a one-off purchase of the hardware; (no minutes, no contract).

I am unsure if this is acceptable. I have read HMRCs advice which mentions pay-as-you-go phones. This is similar, but not exactly right. I wouldn't be pay as you go.

So... is it ok to have my company pay only for the handset? Should I declare it somewhere?
    Last edited by GeorgeGeorge; 26 September 2015, 16:41. Reason: Removed question because I am being accused of abusing my limited company.

Originally posted by GeorgeGeorge View Post
    Second mini question....
    Suppose I was to then give the handset to my wife (who is not anything to do with my company). I suppose that would not be allowed?
    What do you think? If you are up for abusing your limited company why bother asking the first question. Just put it through regardless.

I'd normally say ask your accountant but in this case id say definitely ask them. I'd love to see his face when you do.

Why stop there. I'll find a couple of recent threads about company cars so you can buy one and give it to her as well.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 September 2015, 16:24.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No thank you. I'm not up for abusing my limited company.

I'm trying to understand what I am supposed to do in this situation. Not interested in getting involved in any scams.

Comment

Yes you can do that. The handset would be a company asset.

Since you are paying for the PAYG personally the company can reimburse you for business calls only. With a SIM-only (or PAYG) contract in the company's name the company could pay for all calls, max 1 handset to each employee, without incurring BiK.

Comment

Why would you buy a phone 'for yourself' through your company then give it to the wife? Its a clear dodge imo.

Nothing to stop you buying just the phone through your co and paying for the call plan yourself. I did and do this because my preferred provider doesnt do business plans.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

No thank you. I'm not up for abusing my limited company.

I'm trying to understand what I am supposed to do in this situation. Not interested in getting involved in any scams.
            So how do you think the company buying something for your wife's going to work?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes. Full stop.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

So... is it ok to have my company pay only for the handset? Should I declare it somewhere?
                Yes. It's a company asset. Once it's depreciated to nothing, you can give it away.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Yes. It's a company asset. Once it's depreciated to nothing, you can give it away.
                  Bear in mind if the asset is given away to a director there are potential NIC implications. I can't see how it could be an issue in practice (just leave it on the company books) but I thought I'd mention it.

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene...-out-the-value

Comment

Working...
                  X