• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Radio silence from former accountant following data request during notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio silence from former accountant following data request during notice period

I was frustrated with poor service from my accountant and gave them 30 days notice of termination as per their terms and conditions.

After three ignored emails ,this was acknowledged with a stock copy and paste "goodbye" email, whereby they gave notice that access to my records had been suspended with immediate effect (7 days into the 30 days period of notice).

Is this legal? I have made two (and my new accountant has two) requests to the old accountant to re-instate access to my records for the remainder of the notice period or provide copies of them by other means but they are ignoring us.

Incidently, they are also not acting for me during this period, i.e. payroll, RTI, VAT - payment terms were monthly in advance.

Happened to me when I decided to leave my local one man band. Luckily had had most of it recorded in some format so SJD who I went to went the extra mile to help me catch up.

Whether to chase it depends on how much you have missing and your appetite for sticking it to him. I didn't have much and just wanted rid so left it.

If you really want to follow it up check your terms of engagement contract. It should be documented in there. I'd take a stab there isn't anything about him shutting up shop like this so they are in the wrong. Might be worth getting a solicitors letter to them to deal with it quickly.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 13 October 2015, 21:40.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Pretty appalling professional workings. Surely if they are members of a recognised accountancy board a complaint is the way forward?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I had the same problem with my first 1-man band, and no - nothing was worth sticking with him. The only thing I came away with was my original incorporation certificate which I had to insist that he give me in order to open my company bank account. My new accountant worked hard to rebuild my year's accounts, they said that this wasn't unusual.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
          I was frustrated with poor service from my accountant and gave them 30 days notice of termination as per their terms and conditions.

After three ignored emails ,this was acknowledged with a stock copy and paste "goodbye" email, whereby they gave notice that access to my records had been suspended with immediate effect (7 days into the 30 days period of notice).

Is this legal? I have made two (and my new accountant has two) requests to the old accountant to re-instate access to my records for the remainder of the notice period or provide copies of them by other means but they are ignoring us.

Incidently, they are also not acting for me during this period, i.e. payroll, RTI, VAT - payment terms were monthly in advance.
          Sounds like the old accountant has spat his dummy out big time at you leaving, very unprofessional indeed!

If your old accountant is registered with either ICAEW or ACCA then it is a big no no to ignore a professional clearance letter and something the institutes normally take very seriously. Definitely worth following it up with them if possible to ensure that all information is actually passed over correctly and efficiently.

Martin
          Contratax Ltd

Comment

Unfortunately it seems this is fairly common...and for the "new" accountant it can make things really tricky, especially where the client wasn't fully on top of things.

Should only take the old accountant 5-10 minutes to send over a few PDFs/similar...but if they don't, it'll take the client/new accountant ages to find out the same data, if indeed they're able to at all.

Almost as annoying as radio silence is an old accountant who acknowledges your letter, says they'll get you the info, doesn't, and responds to every chaser you send with "we'll get it to you by the end of the week" which they then never do. Having this regularly with one of the big contractor firms atm and it's extremely frustrating.

You can potentially raise a complaint to their institute (if they're with one). Bit of hassle for you, but a slapped wrist from their regulator might poke them into action. No guarantees though, and if they're no with an institute this option isn't even open to you.

Comment

If you send any letters - which you should do btw - send them by at least recorded mail.

Companies and regulatory bodies nearly all pretend they don't receive mail if you don't.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                Having this regularly with one of the big contractor firms atm and it's extremely frustrating.
                Begins with B and based in Warrington by chance? I've still got a clearance outstanding with them since April. Fortunately got most of the info from client via the online portal thing but, jeez, they are frustrating.

Comment

Thanks all, send them a notice before action this morning mentioning ACCA and lo and behold a "computer error" has been resolved and access to my records has been restored.

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
                    Thanks all, send them a notice before action this morning mentioning ACCA and lo and behold a "computer error" has been resolved and access to my records has been restored.
                    Fantastic. Nicely done.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X