• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment in lieu and unlawful terms in 'opt in' contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Irrelevant, you've been terminated by the client with immediate effect, the reason given amounts to proven to be unsuitable or acted unprofessionally.

It doesn't matter what you say, without a large lump of proof otherwise, namely a statement from each of the site people that you talked to, the client will say you acted unprofessionally by publicly criticising their approach. As someone new to the project a word to one side asking why the approach is taken and "clarifying" would have been sensible. Too late now they've pulled the pin.

There's very little mileage you can make in that situation, the Agent will point to the fact the client told you to your face to get lost, it's at best a fine print dispute and you can't argue that you didn't know. The termination was done because you displayed a poor attitude, that's easily spun into "unprofessional conduct"

If you want them to I'm sure they will add a gross misconduct wording to the much more polite unprofessional conduct.

You've dropped a massive bollock in the clients eyes, there's no going back from that, all you can do since they've agreed to pay all outstanding invoices is make things worse and possibly attract attention to yourself by making it public in court.

Walk away with a shred of dignity, your face didn't fit and they got rid.
    Nice response but you have neglected to mention one of the most important factors in the initial post, that being...

My background: Professional contractor / senior developer with 17 years solid experience. I have a good reputation within the industry for being a pleasant and reliable worker, and as such am lucky enough to enjoy good contract extensions with very few gaps between roles.
    He's pleasant and enjoys good contract extensions... That's got to count for something surely??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You know what NLUK? I looked a the other posts on these forums first, and when I posted, I knew you'd be the single user to act the clown as usual. Since you seem live on these forums, waiting to spout your usual unhelpful sarcasm, it makes me wonder what experience you actually have as a contractor, as you certainly don't seem to be in work, otherwise you wouldn't have the time you do during each day.

Thanks to everyone else though for their more constructive feedback.. It's a shame these forums are made so daunting to new users by the likes of NLUK.

Comment

Originally posted by edan291 View Post
        You know what NLUK? I looked a the other posts on these forums first, and when I posted, I knew you'd be the single user to act the clown as usual. Since you seem live on these forums, waiting to spout your usual unhelpful sarcasm, it makes me wonder what experience you actually have as a contractor, as you certainly don't seem to be in work, otherwise you wouldn't have the time you do during each day.

Thanks to everyone else though for their more constructive feedback.. It's a shame these forums are made so daunting to new users by the likes of NLUK.
        You kinda forgot I took the time to write a long response to you earlier? I saw a bit of ribbing over an amusing paragraph in a very long and complex post but I took the time to read it and respond. I don't see any unhelpful sarcasm...

Comment

Mod note: no in the professional forums. Humour is permitted.

For the OP. That you showed poor judgement is evidenced by the fact the client canned you. The reason the client canned you is that you showed poor judgement. That's the inescapable logic. Arguing about that point is fruitless.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Mod note: no in the professional forums. Humour is permitted.

For the OP. That you showed poor judgement is evidenced by the fact the client canned you. The reason the client canned you is that you showed poor judgement. That's the inescapable logic. Arguing about that point is fruitless.
            Resistance is futile.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Resistance is futile.

No it's not. It's Volts over Amps.

Meditate on that one...

Ohmmmmmmmm
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You have been canned as you didn't fit with the client. We have all had issues, once we have been doing this for a while, part and parcel. Obviously, it was disappointing to have professionalism questioned, chalk it up to experience and move on.

I do view the 2 weeks disputed notice as loss of earnings because I didn't simply walk into a new contract the following day, and in fact they had already kept me waiting a week past the initial start date due to general faffing around.
                As for the notice period, if you didn't work it why should you be paid, start dates always get delayed, part and parcel.
                If you have been contracting for 17 years, like you say, you should have come across both these situations before.

It's a shame these forums are made so daunting to new users by the likes of NLUK.
                Strewth, MTFU, its a hard world out there .
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Humour is permitted.
                  Since when?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X