• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

do I need special insurance to drive my own car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I asked direct line about business use when I renewed last year they said business use is included as standard an all of their fully comprehensive policies not just commuting actual business use.. I drive between a few client sites some times a few a day so I needed to be sure I was covered.

They don't bother making the distinction because its a few £ difference and if someone has an accident in their own car there's very little they can do to prove it was a business or personal journey so its easier all round just to charge the same rate and say its covered.
    Last edited by Snarf; 18 November 2015, 22:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
      When I asked direct line about business use when I renewed last year they said business use is included as standard an all of their fully comprehensive policies not just commuting actual business use.. I drive between a few client sites some times a few a day so I needed to be sure I was covered.

They don't bother making the distinction because its a few £ difference and if someone has an accident in their own car there's very little they can do to prove it was a business or personal journey so its easier all round just to charge the same rate and say its covered.
      Got to say I'm pretty impressed with Direct Line. I have house insurance with them because it's just so simple. No chosing this and that. Just limits that are all higher than I need with everything all in. None of this adding away from home, listing individual jewellery or having to trawl through to check if stuff at the lads uni is covered. It's all there. Good stuff IMO. I'll be looking at the car insurance next time round.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I switch between Direct Line and Admiral on our cars every couple of years.
        Two cars, both business use, comes in at about £400 per year fully comp in total. Currently with Admiral when Direct Line wanted to put one car up to £350 and the other one at £300.
        When Admiral go to raise the price next year, I'll look around and then probably go back to DL.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
        X