• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Team being built

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Team being built

Hi all, hoping someone with better knowledge of contracting can help with this query (I have no idea if any of this is ok)

Have been contracting just over a year - brought in to do financial reporting, something they didn't have the people in-house for.
    They have now realised that this is something they would like as a more permanent thing and decided to create a reporting finance team when the current project comes to an end.

My query is about being a contractor as part of a team - built around what I came in to do
    There is also talk of becoming team leader - again as a contractor. Running a team of perms...

Originally posted by JohnJizzle View Post
    Hi all, hoping someone with better knowledge of contracting can help with this query (I have no idea if any of this is ok)

Have been contracting just over a year - brought in to do financial reporting, something they didn't have the people in-house for.
    They have now realised that this is something they would like as a more permanent thing and decided to create a reporting finance team when the current project comes to an end.

My query is about being a contractor as part of a team - built around what I came in to do
    There is also talk of becoming team leader - again as a contractor. Running a team of perms...
    Not sure what your current status, but being "part of a team", maybe even the "team leader" - that'll be IR35.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

at the moment I'm just working on my own. I do all the reporting as they didn't have any before

Comment

What is your query? I see no "?" as part of your post.....

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJizzle View Post
          at the moment I'm just working on my own. I do all the reporting as they didn't have any before
          Being a project lead, leading perms is fine as long as you ask that someone else looks after the line management/huggy-feely side of things. You're there to provide the deliverables specified in your contract with the resources available. If you choose to go perm at the end of the contract or walk away, that's fine.

The biggies are:
          Get your contract updated and checked to reflect any additional responsibilities
          Avoid any and all aspects of line management; you're only shepherding the resource, not cuddling it.
          Make sure that working practices are clearly defined
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You're there to provide the deliverables specified in your contract
            +1 get the project deliverables put in .
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What LM says. Always remember you are brought in as a contractor to carry out a task that should be documented. Never accept new work allow the client to move you around as he sees fit. That would be direction and control which is a big IR35 flag. Permies do that not us. Always get it documented and agreed. There we times however the client will be to treating you like a permie so no number of new agreements will help you.

All that said the fact you say they want it on a permanent basis and you are team lead doesn't look very good. If they perceive you to be an enduring resource you could be in a sticky situation re IR35 already. They should be putting a plan in place for you to skill a permie up and letting you go TBH.....
              Last edited by northernladuk; 24 November 2015, 16:50.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am assuming you know what IR35 is.........
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do whatever they offer, so long as they offer an appopriate contact with it. Team leader? Sure, just get them to write a 12 month team leader contract. and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    What LM says. Always remember you are brought in as a contractor to carry out a task that should be documented. Never accept new work allow the client to move you around as he sees fit. That would be direction and control which is a big IR35 flag. Permies do that not us. Always get it documented and agreed. There we times however the client will be to treating you like a permie so no number of new agreements will help you.

All that said the fact you say they want it on a permanent basis and you are team lead doesn't look very good. If they perceive you to be an enduring resource you could be in a sticky situation re IR35 already. They should be putting a plan in place for you to skill a permie up and letting you go TBH.....
                    Spot on. Personally, I'd want two different types of people for project delivery and ongoing support (contract v perm).
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X