• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Team being built

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Do whatever they offer, so long as they offer an appopriate contact with it. Team leader? Sure, just get them to write a 12 month team leader contract. and so on.
    Questionable advice at best.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Questionable advice at best.
      May simply be imprecise.

Certainly as a contractor your contract should be deliverable-based, as it would for EY, Accenture, any other consultancy or proper contractor. Get a proper estimate together for what you're going to be delivering, add 30% contingency to the estimate and there's your contract length. If you finish that early, great. Flag it up that you're finishing your deliverables and will either be leaving or will need a new contract to reflect new work. Or go perm.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You can do anything as long as it is within the 4 corners of a water tight contract. Having said that, it is tricky when the client wants to move you around, because they probably won't be thinking in terms of a new contract. Personally I would try to look on it as an "opportunity for new business", and try to re-engage the client on a new contract (and charge more for a more senior role). Either that, or continue as you are. Don't let the client squidge you into a new "role", as others have said, that is IR35 quick sand.

I had this issue when a recent telecomms client asked me to architect a backup solution, out of the blue. Although it is a service I offer, I resisted, because (a) as discussed above and (b) it was well outside the contract and (c) I charge more for architecture anyway. The situation was resolved when technical reasons ruled it out, so it was not a problem.

Comment

thanks for all the comments. I know about IR35 and should be OK with it at the moment - but that is the worry.

They are putting together this team and just expecting me to be part of it with not even mentioning my current contract or project. It looks like someone else (who didnt get me in) has been put in charge of creating this and is trying to build on what I'm already doing.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJizzle View Post
            thanks for all the comments. I know about IR35 and should be OK with it at the moment - but that is the worry.

They are putting together this team and just expecting me to be part of it with not even mentioning my current contract or project. It looks like someone else (who didnt get me in) has been put in charge of creating this and is trying to build on what I'm already doing.
            Nobody else will look after keeping your contract IR35 friendly so you'll have to do it yourself.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJizzle View Post

Remember, to them (the day to day people you work with/for etc) likely know next to nothing about your contract, IR35 etc, and they certainly don't care about your IR35 status.

It is up to you to keep them right.

Comment

Working...
              X