• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bumbling attempts to help a new contractor form a Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumbling attempts to help a new contractor form a Ltd company

So this morning I started ringing round my shortlist of potential accountants to move from umbrella company to my own Ltd company. I've been contracting for 9 months now so want to see if I'm outside IR35. I'm a newb I know it so was hoping for some advice and guidance. First attempt is CRUNCH and the agent is pleasant but obviously doesn't have a script at hand for for people in my position as he bumbles through trying to help me. Finally advises an IR35 review with a 3rd party, Abbey, for £249 - although discounted if I join CRUNCH. Bit chicken and egg at this point. So phone Abbey who inadvertently mention that Nixon Williams offer the review for £100 if I join them. Not on my shortlist but give them a phone too. Again if you join you can get a discounted review - chicken and egg again.

To summarise I thought these guys would be a lot slicker in advising a total newb. Are there any accountants out there that can help someone new starting out because after 3 calls it just seems so much simpler to stay under my umbrella.....

Originally posted by Bando View Post
    So this morning I started ringing round my shortlist of potential accountants to move from umbrella company to my own Ltd company. I've been contracting for 9 months now so want to see if I'm outside IR35. I'm a newb I know it so was hoping for some advice and guidance. First attempt is CRUNCH and the agent is pleasant but obviously doesn't have a script at hand for for people in my position as he bumbles through trying to help me. Finally advises an IR35 review with a 3rd party, Abbey, for £249 - although discounted if I join CRUNCH. Bit chicken and egg at this point. So phone Abbey who inadvertently mention that Nixon Williams offer the review for £100 if I join them. Not on my shortlist but give them a phone too. Again if you join you can get a discounted review - chicken and egg again.

To summarise I thought these guys would be a lot slicker in advising a total newb. Are there any accountants out there that can help someone new starting out because after 3 calls it just seems so much simpler to stay under my umbrella.....
    I don't like putting newbs (n00bs) down. But to be really honest if just 3 calls like that are getting under your skin it might not be for you. Running a Ltd does involve paying folk to do things, but you're currently paying your brolly anyway.
    I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

You could try QDOS, they offer accounting and IR35 assessments in one company.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        You could try QDOS, they offer accounting and IR35 assessments in one company.
        You wot? Since when were QDOS accountants? They're an insurance company who offer contract assessments.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
          You wot? Since when were QDOS accountants? They're an insurance company who offer contract assessments.
          Since quite recently, my missus uses them.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Still going to be a chicken and egg thing.

Do you have fellow contractors on site who are Ltd and confirmed outside IR35? And do any of them like you enough to let you put the two contracts side by side?
            Might give you a slight steer without spending anything.
            I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

A number of accountants including myself provide both services.

Qdos started offering accountancy services a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bando View Post

I think your expectation was unreasonable to begin with.

You won't get an opinion on IR35 over the phone. There are too many variables involved to be able to do it on the basis of a telephone conversation, they need to see your contracts and working practices as well as talk to you. This all takes time and they are not going to do it for free. Yes, you can get a discount on it if you sign up for accountancy services, thats normal. If you just want the review done then expect to pay full price for it. Which is generally between £250 and £350 for a straight forward contract.

On the basis of a cold call, expect them to be happy to talk you through their accountancy services and pricing, and if you ask about IR35 they will tell you if they can do the reviews or not.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Some accountants do offer a review before you sign up or charge for a review. But this would then be offset against your fees going forward

However don't get too caught up with what is in your contract. As the likelihood is that it's a standard agency contract that doesn't reflect your working conditions.

Instead, you should talk through your working conditions to make sure these point away from employment.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Since quite recently, my missus uses them.
                    Cor blimey, you're right. I can't find when they started, but looks like this year.

Strangely, for a company many of us rely on for legal advice, I can't see the required details of registered address, company number, etc at the bottom of their webpage. It's all there on the QDOS Contractor site, but not the accounting site.

Comment

Working...
                    X