• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD price increases

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myself, I find it very hard to swallow the justifications presented for a rise in fees at this time.

1 Technology is making efficiency of handling contractor accounts much more productive, in turn this is driving costs down not up.

2. I do not know anyone who has to regularly meet their accountant, I haven't done so in 12 years.

3. Hourly/Day rates for most of have been static or falling for at least ten years and our costs of business have steadily increased.

I see no real justification to increase fees at SJD, they're already one of the most expensive contractor accountants. Vote with your feet, I say. (BTW, my current accountant has frozen fees "for life").
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Myself, I find it very hard to swallow the justifications presented for a rise in fees at this time.

1 Technology is making efficiency of handling contractor accounts much more productive, in turn this is driving costs down not up.

2. I do not know anyone who has to regularly meet their accountant, I haven't done so in 12 years.

3. Hourly/Day rates for most of have been static or falling for at least ten years and our costs of business have steadily increased.

I see no real justification to increase fees at SJD, they're already one of the most expensive contractor accountants. Vote with your feet, I say. (BTW, my current accountant has frozen fees "for life").
      SJD do not seem to have embraced technology, they still use spreadsheets, very 1980's.

Inflation is running at -0.1%, so inflation can't be a pressure on this price hike.

The new owners have probably added lots of overheads with the usual new management roles for looking after paper clips etc.

Net profit margins of 50% plus have to be protected.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Yes, I guess you're right on all counts. Have to say, Mr Dolan built a UK wide company on the back of his spreadsheet. His exit would seem to be perfect timing!
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Anyone paying over £150 a month for a spreadsheet must be mad, when there are many online solutions out there for half of the cost.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

I left SJD in the last year after a few years (3 i think) and i remember the price going up at least once. I left due to value for money not being there and wanting an online portal.

I did go for a meeting face to face at the very beginning which was useful cause i had got myself in a right old mess and they did sort it out to my satisfaction. That loyalty lasted until the last increase and having several accountants at SJD

Moved to Crunch, happy days

Comment

I am a big believer in getting what you pay for which is part of the reason I went with SJD when I started contracting earlier this yr. However I'm not a big fan of the spreadsheet, I do most of the paperwork myself and a lot research on what's changing. I had started to think that at the end of my financial yr I would move to someone who would provide better value for money.

The price rise has confirmed that I will be moving.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm currently taking a look at Intouch, Gorilla and Freeagent

VC

Comment

And I miss you all too....
                P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Still with SJD, my company secretary understands the spreadsheet and is happy to use it. It's also convenient to pick up the phone and discuss/flag any issues.

My real concerns are another increase for zero perceived benefit and the constantly changing accountants.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
                    And I miss you all too....

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                      I left SJD in the last year after a few years (3 i think) and i remember the price going up at least once. I left due to value for money not being there and wanting an online portal.

I did go for a meeting face to face at the very beginning which was useful cause i had got myself in a right old mess and they did sort it out to my satisfaction. That loyalty lasted until the last increase and having several accountants at SJD

Moved to Crunch, happy days
                      No online portal and they are charging that much, erm no? I use free agent with a online accountant and it's so easy and much cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                      X