• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax code K

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax code K

What fresh hell is this?

HMRC have changed my tax code from 944L to K144X, reduced my personal allowance to £0 less £1456 for medical insurance from my previous employer meaning my tax free amount is not the £10K it should be but -£1456.

I was a permie all last tax year but I owe about £700 from the last SA which I thought was down to that medical insurance plus the tax on a couple of hundred pounds of dividends from another company. I also thought the change in my tax code from 1060L to 944L was to pay for this.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on? Is it simply a mistake or is there a legitimate reason why this is the case?

Thanks.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Sounds like you may have asked HMRC to take the tax due (on your SA return) from your tax code.

And they may also think that you are still receiving the medical insurance. Give them a call and they can explain it further.

Comment

K codes suck because you end up paying tax on money that you haven't even earned HMRC have, on occasion, been known to make a complete cods up of tax codes so give them a call and ask why the K code has been applied and go from there
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Has YourCo been informed of the tax code (i.e. is it just you personally that has been told)? The company can't make deductions based on a tax code it doesn't know about.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          HMRC have, on occasion, been known to make a complete cods up of tax codes
          Very delicately put.

Comment

Bloody automated voice systems. "Please tell us your National Insurance number". So I do. "Please tell us your National Insurance number." Again I tell them. "Sorry. Please tell us your National Insurance number". Ahhh! "If you have forgotten your National Insurance number please say Yes".

A nice Scottish lady sorted it out. It seems they decided I was likely to earn £106K from October to April, which is sadly quite a long way from the truth. And being >£100K reduced the allowance to zero. I'm now back to 989L.

Thank you for listening.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted - felt sure it was likely to be a cods up

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                Glad you got it sorted - felt sure it was likely to be a cods up
                Is that a colloquialism or the swear filter kicking in?

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
                  Is that a colloquialism or the swear filter kicking in?
                  Take your pick

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

And they've done it again, from April.

Comment

Working...
                    X