• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reconsider the new Dividend Tax for small businesses - Gouvernment Petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    This was reported on 21st July 2015!

Is this the end of National Insurance? - Telegraph
    So, it took them 5 years to report in 2015 as I said they were supposed to (why so long?) but Osborne has not done anything, even though now there are nobody else in Govt he can blame for stopping him doing it, like he did blame LibDems for stopping him reducing rate of income tax from 45% to 40%, and it must have been LibDems who stopped him from increasing tax on dividends by 30%!

People like him (and their party in general since whole party votes for Budget) are political fraudsters who should be in jail for being liars during election, "pro-business" my arse, how can you support them when this dividend tax hike and other things they do to self-employed contractors specifically are going to totally destroy the trade as it's known right now??? At least I am lucky to have "large" business that benefited from 28% corp tax drop, but vast majority of people on this forum will be utterly shafted by this crazy chancellor, yet you defend him?!?!

Comment

I'm a realist, I've leave you to wallow in your fantasy world. Good night
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I'm a realist, I've leave you to wallow in your fantasy world. Good night
        It indeed turned to be a total fantasy to expect tax cuts (or at least modest tax increases) from a majority Tory Govt.

I'll remember it.

Nobody on here expected such a massive attack on small business/self-employment from Osborne, but I guess it's fine by you.

Comment

Most MP's will face re-selection before the next election due to boundary changes, so Corbyn will ensure most new candidates will be from the far left. This is why he is concentrating on getting control of the party rather than the parliamentary party.

The government are looking at merging tax and NIC, employers NIC can still apply even if it's called something else. Also if a government wants to raise more tax it will be more transparent. This will stop people being fooled into thinking that a rise in NIC is not the same as a rise in tax.

The government has resisted any sugar taxes but they are faced with pressure from the medical groups, not sure it would work but if it helps fight the obesity levels then let's give it a go.
          All governments since Thatcher have been aware of how spin is needed to get the electorate to vote for you. If you are transparent with tax rates then you never get elected to form a government in the first place. This is what all the ex-Labour leaders and political advisers are telling Corbyn but he won't listen.

I live in one of the few seats in the country that can swing to help elect the government. Even if the boundaries are changed the parliamentary seats next to mine are in the same category. While part of this is due to a transient population there are simply not enough under 25s in the area to out vote the more educated of us, the wealthy and the business owners for very left wing Labour candidates.

Anyway the fact that Corbyn is older and rides a bike in London means the moderate Labour MPs are just hoping he won't last 15 years....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I live in one of the few seats in the country that can swing to help elect the government. Even if the boundaries are changed the parliamentary seats next to mine are in the same category. While part of this is due to a transient population there are simply not enough under 25s in the area to out vote the more educated of us, the wealthy and the business owners for very left wing Labour candidates.

Anyway the fact that Corbyn is older and rides a bike in London means the moderate Labour MPs are just hoping he won't last 15 years....
            Ah, but even now Labour can rely on a tribal vote, they will vote for anyone with a Labour rosette on. So if Corbyn and co can get their people selected as the candidate then the next batch of Labour MP's will be far more left wing than the current batch.

This is why Corbyn, Livingstone, McDonnell are all relaxed about the current batch, they know they will be mostly be gone by 2020, unless the moderates can topple him before, I just cannot see that happening.

The vast majority of Labour voters act like zombies, the same voters who voted for Foot in 1983 and yet we're happy to vote for Blair in 1997 on a more right wing manifesto than Thatcher won on in 1979.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Ah, but even now Labour can rely on a tribal vote, they will vote for anyone with a Labour rosette on. So if Corbyn and co can get their people selected as the candidate then the next batch of Labour MP's will be far more left wing than the current batch.

This is why Corbyn, Livingstone, McDonnell are all relaxed about the current batch, they know they will be mostly be gone by 2020, unless the moderates can topple him before, I just cannot see that happening.

The vast majority of Labour voters act like zombies, the same voters who voted for Foot in 1983 and yet we're happy to vote for Blair in 1997 on a more right wing manifesto than Thatcher won on in 1979.
              Labour can rely on their tribal vote but the vote was not enough to keep their seats in Scotland. One of the main reasons cited was not listening to people especially female voters regardless of the gender of the candidate Labour put up. Labour need the Scottish seats to be in government.

They also need swing seats in England and Wales to be Labour or non-Tory. Corbyn won't get that either.

BTW where I was brought up people voted for Labour MPs but Tory councillors.

Comment

Nice to know that HMRC still have a heart in the midst of all this money grabbing shenanigans by the Tresaury - HMRC: Flood victims won't be fined for missing tax return deadline - Telegraph. If everything you own is under water and your're facing massive bills and fights with insurance companies, at least you won't get find if you can't find the time to file your tax return
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

My understanding of the Tories is that they've never been in favour of small businesses, or the aspirational. They're in favour of the elite staying elite, and the rest being screwed to ensure they can't join the elite.

Look at the BTL changes which are spun to be helping the little guy by screwing the wealthy:
                  - reduced interest relief for higher rate taxpayers - the land barons don't have mortgages, they own their numerous BTLs outright, hence this change only hits those who didn't have wealth but have borrowed lots to try to get there.
                  - stamp duty increases - again, no impact on those who already own shedloads. Just an extra tax on those attempting to buy a bit more.

Dividend tax didn't come to a surprise to me. Corporation tax rates realistically needed to come down, as globalisation makes it increasingly easy for businesses (barring the really little ones) to shuffle profits offshore. No good trying to get 30% of £0.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                    My understanding of the Tories is that they've never been in favour of small businesses, or the aspirational. They're in favour of the elite staying elite, and the rest being screwed to ensure they can't join the elite.
                    It may be some of the current Tories views but it's not a Thatcherism Tory view (or a Nu Labour, third way, view).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Labour can rely on their tribal vote but the vote was not enough to keep their seats in Scotland. One of the main reasons cited was not listening to people especially female voters regardless of the gender of the candidate Labour put up. Labour need the Scottish seats to be in government.

They also need swing seats in England and Wales to be Labour or non-Tory. Corbyn won't get that either.

BTW where I was brought up people voted for Labour MPs but Tory councillors.
                      I agree, my point is that the next batch of Labour MP's will be much more far left due to the forthcoming re-selection of candidates before the 2020 election. Any they can expect a sizeable batch of MP's due to the core vote.

I cannot see that being enough to win, let's hope not anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X