• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

avoid 40% dividend tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sorry to hear this and hope it changes soon but thanks for coming on and explaining there is the other side to contracting.
    Thanks, I'm not giving up just yet! But the permie jobs market seems just as bad at present, so there's no options there either.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Sorry to hear this and hope it changes soon but thanks for coming on and explaining there is the other side to contracting.
      +1 Valuable post for n00bs. You can't prepare much better than an 18mo warchest. It's easy to lose sight of the downsides of contracting during a boom, but they become pretty apparent during a downturn, as currently being experienced in oil/gas.

Comment

Originally posted by phillcooper View Post
        Thanks for the advice everyone.

Is a shame though, feels like I've been putting the hours in for nothing. Im sure I'll thank myself down the line tho.
        Well, not nothing, but 70? 80? thousand in to your house in the first 9 months of the tax year.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Thanks, I'm not giving up just yet! But the permie jobs market seems just as bad at present, so there's no options there either.
          Is this due the oil price plummeting?

Comment

Sheesh I'd never read Richard's thread before. What became of him later?

To think, that we're now on the cusp of a huge recession / depression and could well see longer bench times again. I'd like to think I'm prepared for it, which perhaps I am financially, but mentally it's another matter.
            Last edited by ChimpMaster; 21 January 2016, 14:09.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Sheesh I'd never read Richard's thread before. What became of him later?
              He stopped using that particular sockie.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                Is this due the oil price plummeting?
                That is the root cause, as a result there are thousands of engineers on the bench the world over. Billions of dollars of projects have been canned. In past times I'd find work in petrochem manufacture that typically booms when gas/oil prices are low. But now that probably 90% of our industry has gone and the 10% rump left is foreign owned, there is no petrochem work this time around. O&G is a very international business and we in the UK are not best placed to compete.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I was in the telecoms bit of my last company which was part of the energy division. Not a happy time I can tell you before I left/got shown the door.

Comment

Working...
                  X