• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From April

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From April

Thinking of keeping my warchest outside of Ltd company account (beyond the required amount of, say, 1 year salary + tax liabilities).

Have any of the accountants on here run any analysis on what a sweet spot would be (as in taking, say, £30k as salary) or would that be too difficult to do on anything but a case-by-case basis (depending on day rate, number of directors, etc)? Just doing some forward planning.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

How about getting yours to do it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      How about getting yours to do it?
      Considering it but why not ask if that's the case rather than paying extra?
      Are you cut out to be a northerner?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It would be a case by case basis. There is no hard and fast rule.

For example, your circumstances would depend on your IR35 status and what you need to take out to live on...

You should absolutely maximise your basic rate band for both years. If you don't need anything above the BR bands, you would be taking out the funds unnecessarily with the consequence of a larger tax bill!

Not sure if you are looking to take out your surplus funds or to strike the right balance between salary/dividends or between dividends now/post April. On the last point, there are some simple rules to follow which we'll be releasing shortly.

In short your question is a little too general - so 'how long is a piece of string?'
        Last edited by Louisa@InTouch; 2 February 2016, 14:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa@InTouch View Post
          In short your question is a little too general - so 'how long is a piece of string?'
          The shame of being told your thread is rubbish and should be in General by one our esteemed accountants..... Lol

Comment

It would be a case by case basis. There is no hard and fast rule.

<snip>

Thanks Louisa, I suspected it might be a horses for courses. I don't mind hitting the higher tax rate because I'd rather my money be working for me in other ways, take the hit on the tax and have it increase in value rather than stagnate in Ltd bank account.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The shame of being told your thread is rubbish and should be in General by one our esteemed accountants..... Lol
            Now then, let's clarify this. I asked an accounting question and got the answer that I pretty much expected. It was a broad question but necessarily so.

Toddle off and get back to scaring n00bs.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Toddle off and get back to scaring n00bs.
              That's what I was trying to do

Comment

Thanks Louisa, I suspected it might be a horses for courses. I don't mind hitting the higher tax rate because I'd rather my money be working for me in other ways, take the hit on the tax and have it increase in value rather than stagnate in Ltd bank account
                Only thing to consider is the funds you would get personally, would be less tax.

Whereas, if you don't personally need the funds and are looking to invest, the majority of the time your company could do this and also make the same returns. Then this would remain in the company to distribute at a later date.

You consider more future plans, such as pension contributions. An expense for the business giving you the corporation tax relief and you'll get it personally on retirement.

Comment

Only thing to consider is the funds you would get personally, would be less tax.

Whereas, if you don't personally need the funds and are looking to invest, the majority of the time your company could do this and also make the same returns. Then this would remain in the company to distribute at a later date.

You consider more future plans, such as pension contributions. An expense for the business giving you the corporation tax relief and you'll get it personally on retirement.
                  Thanks.

I'm looking at investing in property in the shorter term - are you saying that it would be ok to do that via my ltd co? Thought that would invalidate the industry code, or could I start Ltd Co 2 with capital from Ltd Co and do it that way?

Comment

Thanks.

I'm looking at investing in property in the shorter term - are you saying that it would be ok to do that via my ltd co? Thought that would invalidate the industry code, or could I start Ltd Co 2 with capital from Ltd Co and do it that way?
                    It can be done but it may not be as efficient depending on what you want to do. Someone asked this the other week and it appears it will still be inefficient after April but I see more and more articles popping up saying it's worth thinking about now. Gotta be careful as the ones that say yes tend to be related to the housing market. Nice article here.

Contractors’ Questions: Can I buy property via my limited company? :: Contractor UK

It's likely you would be better starting a new company and registering it as a SPV with the right SIC code as it may affect your ability to get finance. Decent article on that here.

Limited company buy to let mortgages

Comment

Working...
                    X