• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company bicycle as asset including GPS cycle computer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company bicycle as asset including GPS cycle computer?

It's possible to buy a company bicycle and associated accessories as company assets.

Does anyone know where the accessories are defined? I'd like to know if I can buy a fancy Garmin GPS cycle computer. For navigating to my clients of course.

Cheers,
    EF

Did you attempt to do any of your own research whatsoever before you asked that question or does this come under 'brain fart'?

company_owned_bicycles_motorbikes_tax_issues

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bi...obile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cy...obile&ie=UTF-8

And you can claim anything you want through the company. Question is can you justify it to HMIT who has a large tub of Vaseline with him? Hint : you are allowed bike plus safety gear only.

If you after buying a good piece of kit with all the trimmings to use personally pretending to be under the guise of a company bike, don't bother. It's just not worth it. Check out number 2.
    The following conditions apply:

1.The bicycle and equipment remains the property of the Company until the loan is paid off in full.
    2. The employee must use the bicycle primarily for business use (though ‘secondary’ personal use is fine).
    3. The Cycle to Work scheme must be made available to all employ
    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 February 2016, 01:05.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Bike yes, although eyebrows may be raised if you blow a couple of grand on a full carbon TT bike for your commute.

Helmet and lights, yes, they count as safety gear.

Cycling clothing, No, unless its a fluorescent jacket which counts as safety gear.

Any other gadgets and gizmo's like gps and bike computers, no.

My Co has a company Bicycle that is available for employee use when commuting to clients and provides lights, a helmet and reflective jacket to use with it.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by electronicfur View Post
        It's possible to buy a company bicycle and associated accessories as company assets.

Does anyone know where the accessories are defined? I'd like to know if I can buy a fancy Garmin GPS cycle computer. For navigating to my clients of course.
        You can buy accessories provided they are classed as safety equipmet, see the .pdf downloads on the cycle to work implementation guidance here.

The version I downloaded a while ago lists the following :
        1. Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
        2. Bells and bulb horns
        3. Lights, including dynamo packs
        4. Mirrors and mudguards to ensure riders visibility is not impaired
        5. Cycle clips and dress guards
        6. Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
        7. Child safety seats
        8. Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
        9. Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
        10. Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors

GPS devices are not safety equipment and so not covered but if you can justify it on the "wholly, exclusively and necessarily..." clause there is no reason you cannot buy a GPS for work use any more than any other equipment.

You should be aware that the cycle to work scheme effectively has a value limitation since YourCo most likely does not have a consumer credit licence. You can get round this by buying the bike on the company and the company owning it outright - there is a special dispensation that means a company provided bicycle has zero BIK value.

Also, there is a guidance somewhere for the disposal values so if you stick to those there is no reason the company cannot sell the bike to you personally after a year or so. The disposal values do follow the extreme depreciation bicycles suffer in the market so this is a definite option.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Did you attempt to do any of your own research whatsoever before you asked that question or does this come under 'brain fart'?
          Did you bother to read my question before throwing insults around? Of course I researched it, and already read all the links and more that you provided, which don't answer my question. Thanks for your time to post them anyway.

But I am not buying the bike through the Cycle to Work scheme. I am buying the bike as a company asset, as I thought was clear from my post.

When buying a bicycle and associated accessories as a company asset, the benefit of this is exempt from tax on employment income. And I was asking if the accessories permitted is defined anywhere. As in, is it defined anywhere in legislation.

I would like to know the exact definition precisely because some bicycle computers are also safety equipment, as they can show cars using radar. Eg Garmin 1000 with Varia Radar tail.

EF

Comment

Of course you can... And absolutely no way is a bike computer a piece of saftey equipment. Check page 10..

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...Oz8TG3cHkHGczA

Or directly off the gov website..

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21664.htm

Don't forget to make sure you get a tandem and can claim the passengers mileage allowance as well.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 4 February 2016, 15:40.

Comment

Oh bugger... I've just realised..

The answer is yes. Fill your boots. Buy 2. Happy days.

Comment

I was about to ask explain to me how you would explain to the VAT (wo)man why a cycle computer is safety equipment and not a personal purchase that shouldn't be on your company's books?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I was about to ask explain to me how you would explain to the VAT (wo)man why a cycle computer is safety equipment and not a personal purchase that shouldn't be on your company's books?
                  Well, one reason (I accept probably not relevant to the OP or anyone else on this forum) would be if eg the person was a dispatch rider who, say, needed to a) use a gps and b) maintain journey logs for invoicing.

True that particular reason will most likely not apply here but it is jumping the gun a bit to say that no computer contractor has a business justification for buying a cycle computer. This separate from the allowable safety equipment under the cycle to work scheme, understand.

Boo

Comment

If the company buys a sat nav for its employees use so they can find their way to clients etc then would that count as a company purchase? I think I would probably chance it.

Is a cycle based one really any different ?

I think a modest argument could be made. Whether it would work or not is a different matter entirely.

Comment

Working...
                    X