• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Easiest company pension scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try fidelity as its all done online

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      It may seem obvious, but I was a bit confused thinking I needed to have a company pension scheme to make employer contributions.

Signed up for an HL SIPP as suggested. I can't believe that to make an initial company contribution I needed to PRINT a FORM, fill it out, WRITE a CHEQUE, and POST it!!!! Do I really want to trust my money with somebody that hasn't noticed it's the 21st century? What do 20-somethings do? Do they even know what cheques are?

I eventually found my company cheque book. Last entry was 2011.
      It's amusing as all my company cheques are to HL
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It may seem obvious, but I was a bit confused thinking I needed to have a company pension scheme to make employer contributions..
        Is that not the case? If I set up a SIPP with HL can MyCo pay into it and deduct those payments from CT?

Comment

Originally posted by matzie View Post
          Is that not the case? If I set up a SIPP with HL can MyCo pay into it and deduct those payments from CT?
          Yep.

You need to tell HL that it's an employer payment on company headed paper with your cheque.

Comment

HL aren't a good choice if you have a large pension invested in funds as they charge a % of funds. You would be better off with a fixed fee broker such as Alliance Trust, Interactive Investor or Selftrade. Look on the Monevator low cost brokers article to see a comparison of charges.

HL are reputedly very good on customer service, though. No doubt because they can afford it with their charges.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You need to tell HL that it's an employer payment on company headed paper with your cheque.
              I just filled out the stupid form, which asks company number etc. I guess I'll be doing that every month. I don't want Direct Debit as the date and amount I'm paid varies so I don't want money going out out of my control, and it means I'd have to cancel it if my income falls to zero.

Inside IR35 and/or with an umbrella and it's outside employer's NI too. 48% tax relief.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I just filled out the stupid form, which asks company number etc. I guess I'll be doing that every month. I don't want Direct Debit as the date and amount I'm paid varies so I don't want money going out out of my control, and it means I'd have to cancel it if my income falls to zero.

Inside IR35 and/or with an umbrella and it's outside employer's NI too. 48% tax relief.
                There is an advantage to this as you can choose which funds to allocate funds to and change the percentages with every payment.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  There is an advantage to this as you can choose which funds to allocate funds to and change the percentages with every payment.
                  And you don't need to fill the form every time, just a letter on headed paper from yourCo with the cheque.

Comment

For my Youinvest SIPP contributions, I just fill in the amount and company name online (and choose the company address from a drop-down) then it generates a pdf which I print, sign and send with a cheque.

Comment

There is another reason to avoid regular monthly direct debit. It's designed for companies that are making regular payments on behalf of employees, so your pension provider may feel they have to report you to HMRC whenever an expected payment doesn't arrive, as you might be be trying to cheat your employee out of the pension contribution they are contractually entitled to.

At least this was the case some years ago, it's possible things have changed.

Regular contributions by direct debit sometimes used to have higher fees than ad hoc single contributions, if your pension was with an insurance company.

Comment

Working...
                      X