• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Easiest company pension scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest company pension scheme

I'm not asking about which is most likely to double every year, or leave me penniless, just what is the easiest and quickest way to set this up so I can make a start on not paying my fair share of tax?

I got half way through the L&G auto enrolment setup, but it started to look like it's not the thing I want. My "staging date" is October 2017; i.e. 18 months away, and it wouldn't let me enter a start date earlier than that. I don't want to wait 18 months.

Also I don't want to have to setup a regular direct debit, as it seemed to be suggesting. Ideally I want to be able to make contributions as and when I feel like it; ideally just by making an online banking payment.

I also don't want to waste hours of my life talking to an IFA, or other advisor. I've tried it, and my eyes glaze over after the first 30 seconds and end up remembering nothing of what was said.

Any suggestions?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I'm not asking about which is most likely to double every year, or leave me penniless, just what is the easiest and quickest way to set this up so I can make a start on not paying my fair share of tax?

I got half way through the L&G auto enrolment setup, but it started to look like it's not the thing I want. My "staging date" is October 2017; i.e. 18 months away, and it wouldn't let me enter a start date earlier than that. I don't want to wait 18 months.

Also I don't want to have to setup a regular direct debit, as it seemed to be suggesting. Ideally I want to be able to make contributions as and when I feel like it; ideally just by making an online banking payment.

I also don't want to waste hours of my life talking to an IFA, or other advisor. I've tried it, and my eyes glaze over after the first 30 seconds and end up remembering nothing of what was said. There are cheaper ones out there but there are not many simpler ones

Any suggestions?
    IS it just you or there other employees you will need to set up?

If its just you sign up with Hargreaves Lansdown, direct debit every month of as low as possible (£50) and then cancel it and top up when you want, you can then have the balance automatically invested in which ever fund takes your fancy and then just forget about it
    Last edited by SimonMac; 9 February 2016, 11:24.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks, just me.

I'd prefer not to have the direct debit. Or is it easy to change the amount?

Comment

Thanks, just me.

I'd prefer not to have the direct debit. Or is it easy to change the amount?
        Yeah you can change it, up mine by about £50 a month once a year, but I have also cancelled the DD when I don't want to contribute, all you have to do is post a form again

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hargreaves Lansdown told me they don't have products suitable for very small companies and pointed me at Nest.

Which again is all about auto-enrolment.

Comment

I also don't want to waste hours of my life talking to an IFA, or other advisor. I've tried it, and my eyes glaze over after the first 30 seconds and end up remembering nothing of what was said.

Any suggestions?
            You probably don't need to auto-enrol - I emailed them and explained that the company has directors without contracts of employment and they went away.

In terms of setting up a pension plan, I set mine up with SJP - I spent time with the guy (he also looks after my parents money and the same for my sister) going through my finances briefly, then said I wanted a pension. He said "sounds like a good idea to me, I'll send you a letter" - letter arrived, I sent a cheque to open it up and then setup a direct debit each month which I've just increased.

Not sure where you're based, but he covers a lot of the north if you want his details.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hargreaves Lansdown told me they don't have products suitable for very small companies and pointed me at Nest.

Which again is all about auto-enrolment.
              Don't listen to them, just open a SIPP its what I have done, ignore the auto enroll aspect

Comment

I think the problem is the whole industry has geared up for the auto-enrolment thing and it's impossible to find anything else. Everything under business is about auto-enrolment.

Comment

I can't think of anything less hassle than a HL SIPP. You do everything on line once it is setup. Dead easy.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It may seem obvious, but I was a bit confused thinking I needed to have a company pension scheme to make employer contributions.

Signed up for an HL SIPP as suggested. I can't believe that to make an initial company contribution I needed to PRINT a FORM, fill it out, WRITE a CHEQUE, and POST it!!!! Do I really want to trust my money with somebody that hasn't noticed it's the 21st century? What do 20-somethings do? Do they even know what cheques are?

I eventually found my company cheque book. Last entry was 2011.

Comment

Working...
                    X