• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Newcomer Umbrella Scenario

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Newcomer Umbrella Scenario

Hello, after some years of permanent role, this is the first time that I am changing my professional career to be a freelancer contractor.

I have a won my first contract (through an recruiting agency) to work on a European east country (member of EU).

The umbrella company says that I can make a higher retention if I declare a modest income on the east country, they write something like "monthly remittance of x euros" and live a modest life.

The net income will be higher and deposited on any account and could be paid as dividends.

I don't know if I have to open a new bank account in the east country to receive this "monthly remittance". The agency says that I can receive all in my existing account.

What are your thoughts about this? What is the meaning of remittance in this situation?
    This is my first experience with this so I feel confused about it.

Many thanks.

Are you a resident of the UK or do you expect to move the the new country?

If you live in the UK you may be getting yourself into trouble with HMRC if you join this type of umbrella.

Read this - it explains what you may be getting into. http://www.contractoruk.com/umbrella...pany_safe.html
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hi, I am a resident outside of UK (latin country) preparing to move (relocate) to the new country.

Comment

Which umbrella? UK agent? Working and living where? You think it's confusing? We don't even have the basic details to try and help you.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 9 February 2016, 22:58.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Inq View Post
          Hi, I am a resident outside of UK (latin country) preparing to move (relocate) to the new country.
          OK, then we are not the best people to ask about this, you will need to ask the tax authority of the country to which you are relocating.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

The umbrella is operated by the GroupChesterfield.
            Last edited by cojak; 9 February 2016, 23:02. Reason: Removed link

Comment

Welcome to ContractorUK
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I am resident in Portugal, the uk recruiting agency is the next ventures, the umbrella company is groupchesterfield. I will be relocating to Hungary.
                Thanks.

Comment

Our advice still stands. You will need to ask the Hungarian tax authority.

Comment

Even though the company finding you the work is based in the UK, you have no obligation to the UK tax authorities as you are a Portuguese tax resident who will be working in Hungary. If you are permanently relocating to Hungary and not returning to Portugal then you will need to advise the Portuguese tax authorities and settle your tax affairs there. You will then need to notify the Hungarian tax authorities of your arrival and register to pay taxes in Hungary. I can see no reason why the umbrella company you mention should be involved in this scenario.; I think it would be better for you to speak to an accountant in Hungary
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X