• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a "good" time to switch accountants, and who does CUK recommend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a "good" time to switch accountants, and who does CUK recommend?

Considering switching accountants for a myriad of reasons (cost, lack of interaction/availability, low confidence that they have helped me operate in the most tax-efficient manner within the rules etc).

With the financial year end approaching and the accounts to be done, I am unsure whether to let them do it and make a clean break from May 1st, or just instigate a change now (one that may save me money). Also - can a new accountant do a review of previous years accounts? Whilst I realise it won't save me money or claw any back, for my own due diligence I would like to know.

Also, SJD seem to be highly regarded here - can anybody vouch for them per se? I don't want a local accountants as we will be moving and so their face2face approach regardless of location appeals.

Cheers all.

Am sure there is a time where cutover is easier than other times but IMO if confidence is a factor here I'd go as soon as possible. No point dragging it out until they've prepared your returns when you don't trust those returns. It's likely they will get a sniff you are leaving and not be as attentive to your returns as they should as well.

I jumped mid year because I'd lost all confidence in my local one man band accountant. He didn't give one shred of paperwork to SJD (who I moved to) despite many mails from myself and SJD. Really poor carry on. I had most of it documented and SJD helped me rebuild my history and went from there. To be fair any quality accountant will do the same. How hard this is depends on what data you have. If you have nothing it could be painful, if you run your own spreadsheet or something then should be pretty easy.

I was with SJD for 7 years and in that time they were great. Had a lot of changes to my accountant but they replacements were fine until I was given one I just didn't get on with so had to leave. Their spreadsheet was pretty good as well.

Have to say now I've swapped to freeagent I'd suggest you go to a freeagent accountant (or any with a decent portal). I'd also say the face to face shouldn't be a factor in your choice. I haven't had a face to face with my accountant in 8 years. That said I did pop in to SJD and say hello to him while discussing something else so put a name to a face but to sit down with my accounts? Never.

Oh and P.S. as good as SJD were to me I do believe IMO they are too expensive for what they offer now.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A review should be possible but you will need to provide the records for comparison.

You are unlikely to retrospectively change the accounts though if you have not been as tax efficient as possible so you may want the review before your year end and possibly before the end of the current tax year.

Comment

You can switch at any time.

If you switch at the company year end, this can make it a little easier for you and less time consuming (if you need to pass on/supply all of your previous information to the new accountant). If you have already paid them to prepare the accounts, you might wish to stay until the year end and then move on. Also, bear in mind that if you switch, the new accountant might charge catch up fees if it's part way through a year.

But if you don't have a lot of confidence in your current accountant, you might want to switch a little more in advance of the year end. They can review your position to date and recommend any changes before you pass the year end.

Do some shopping around for new accountants, as there are some offers at the moment which involve 'no catch up fees'.

Comment

I've never used a local accountant as there is no need to in this age of the internet. You don't need to meet your accountant you just need to choose one that will reply to your emails or a phone call quickly.

There are threads on here with lists of accountants plus there are accountants who posted on here e.g. intouch

If your current accountant is useless then change asap and get the new one to do the books. Yes it will cost extra but piece of mind is better.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Some extremely helpful advice here in double quick time. Most appreciated everyone

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Am sure there is a time where cutover is easier than other times but IMO if confidence is a factor here I'd go as soon as possible. No point dragging it out until they've prepared your returns when you don't trust those returns. It's likely they will get a sniff you are leaving and not be as attentive to your returns as they should as well.

I jumped mid year because I'd lost all confidence in my local one man band accountant. He didn't give one shred of paperwork to SJD (who I moved to) despite many mails from myself and SJD. Really poor carry on. I had most of it documented and SJD helped me rebuild my history and went from there. To be fair any quality accountant will do the same. How hard this is depends on what data you have. If you have nothing it could be painful, if you run your own spreadsheet or something then should be pretty easy.

I was with SJD for 7 years and in that time they were great. Had a lot of changes to my accountant but they replacements were fine until I was given one I just didn't get on with so had to leave. Their spreadsheet was pretty good as well.

Have to say now I've swapped to freeagent I'd suggest you go to a freeagent accountant (or any with a decent portal). I'd also say the face to face shouldn't be a factor in your choice. I haven't had a face to face with my accountant in 8 years. That said I did pop in to SJD and say hello to him while discussing something else so put a name to a face but to sit down with my accounts? Never.

Oh and P.S. as good as SJD were to me I do believe IMO they are too expensive for what they offer now.
              Do you use freeagent yourself and then pay an accountant just to do year end stuff? Or is it a portal they give you but you continue to give them a monthly fee etc? Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by blueislander View Post
                Do you use freeagent yourself and then pay an accountant just to do year end stuff? Or is it a portal they give you but you continue to give them a monthly fee etc? Cheers.
                The freeagent is part of the package from my accountant (Gorilla Accounting) as part of their monthly fees but a number of other agents use it as well. Some have their own portals like InTouch.

As useful as freeagent is it is just a tool. I still think it's worthwhile paying for the full service so I can pick the phone up and ask for advice and guidance. So much is changing come April I'm happy letting them understand the detail and then advising me.

They have access to it so we can both instantly see the situation and they do a quarterly health check when they do VAT.

I do remember SJD saying they would accomodate freeagent users but guess you'd have buy it as well as their fees.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 15 February 2016, 12:40.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The freeagent is part of the package from my accountant (Gorilla Accounting) as part of their monthly fees but a number of other agents use it as well. Some have their own portals like InTouch.

As useful as freeagent is it is just a tool. I still think it's worthwhile paying for the full service so I can pick the phone up and ask for advice and guidance. So much is changing come April I'm happy letting them understand the detail and then advising me.

They have access to it so we can both instantly see the situation and they do a quarterly health check when they do VAT.

I do remember SJD saying they would accomodate freeagent users but guess you'd have buy it as well as their fees.
                  Great thanks!

Comment

SJD = too expensive. Look for a FreeAgent accountant.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X