• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I start claiming expenses again?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoogie View Post
    Has anyone asked HMRC if a journey change between Bank London and Canary Wharf is sufficiently different enough?

Depends where you live.

If you currently live half way between the two, then one is in the opposite direction to the other, so that might work. Equally if you are currently living beside Bank and walking to the ClientCo, but the new contract will involve getting the Tube, then that would probably work.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Depends where you live.

If you currently live half way between the two, then one is in the opposite direction to the other, so that might work. Equally if you are currently living beside Bank and walking to the ClientCo, but the new contract will involve getting the Tube, then that would probably work.
      Erm... opposite direction but only a few miles? Still not significantly further or costly. I don't think that one is gonna wash.

Even the second example. 5 miles extra? A few tube stops. Not a chance. Once of the examples HMRC have is about London, granted the Square Mile but it does mention a couple of different tube stops.

Think about people outside of London. Significant can be 100's of miles, different counties etc. One part of London to another hardly compares.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I bow to your superior knowledge.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          I bow to your superior knowledge.
          No superior knowledge. We've argued London a few times and it appears what someone in London sees as a significant change isn't to anyone else out of London so an open argument that can't really be resolved.

It's such a horrible grey no one really knows but some points are a little easier to argue than others, but that's all it will ever be.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X