• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another tax codes cock up by Hector?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tax codes cock up by Hector?

Arrived home this evening to be greeted by a manilla envelope on the floor from Hector, dated "January 2016" and advising me that my tax code for 2016/17 is 0T.

My P11d was nilled out and my SA completed to reflect.

My sole income is contracting, my tax code for last year was fine so there are no circumstances which contribute to why next year's code ought not be the standard tax band code.

So, another automated cock up by Hector? or just me?

There should be a reason stated for the 0t tax code and I expect they belive your income to be 122k or more in the tax year.

Comment

Not just you. Couple of threads about it recently.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ta...obile&ie=UTF-8
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Could be related to prospective dividends. They're cocking up a bunch of tax codes on the basis of the new dividend tax, preferring to get the money earlier (obviously) than via the SATR. Whether they are targeting those who failed to tick box 3 on the SATR to avoid collection via the tax code, I don't know. As Kenny said, read the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
          There should be a reason stated for the 0t tax code and I expect they belive your income to be 122k or more in the tax year.
          No explanation has been provided. Just says "here's how we worked out your tax code(s):

Personal allowance: £0
          Total: £0
          Total tax free amount £0

Seems like a cock up to me.

Comment

There was an article from one of the contractor blog thongs as well recently but can't find the mail.

Ah found it
            http://www.contractorweekly.com/cont...nd-tax-earlier

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              There was an article from one of the contractor blog thongs as well recently but can't find the mail.

Ah found it
              HMRC Grabbing Dividend Tax Earlier - Contractor Weekly
              Very interesting NLUK, thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
                Very interesting NLUK, thanks for sharing this.
                You are welcome.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 17 February 2016, 21:25.

Comment

I got a 0T as well
                  VR July last year then took 3 months off so that P45 not any use apparently, claimed a bit of JSA in November and got another P45 with just that on it. Then the 0T coding notice from HMRC turned up a couple of weeks ago.

I completed the on-line query form and have just been advised a new coding notice is inbound if it is not the standard 1100L or whatever it is for next year I will be back asking why.

One odd thing on my original notice there was no sign anywhere of my brollies tax ref number.
                  So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Working...
                  X