• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Accountancy Practices - advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seems to be a bit of an upset in Germany at the moment over contractors APSCo and agency alliance urge German government to rethink temp labour proposals | Business intelligence for recruitment and resourcing professionals
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I had similar years ago. Went to see an accountant with view to taking him on. Said right I'm an it contractor but I need someone who knows about this new IR35 thing. OK he said.

Two weeks later I had a bill. £400. For "Investigating and learning about IT Contracting and new IR35 legislation".

Told him to stuff his bill up his backside!
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Also, beware of local accountants. There are some very bad ones out there that I've encountered too.

Know bugger all about IT contracting but happy to jump on the gravy train as they see it. Beware even if they are IPSE recommended too - long story....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Sounds more like you had the wrong tool for the job. Many accountants will struggle to understand the rules around contracting in another country.

Why are you still with them if there has been a catalog of errors as well. You are ultimately responsible for your company finances so sticking with someone that has a history of poor service and the looking to apportion blame when it finally goes tits up isn't you taking that responsibility very seriously.
          Thats real helpful <mod snip>

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa@InTouch View Post
            If they are regulated you can make a complaint!

For example to the ICEAW if they are a regulated firm. Most of the time you will need to make the complaint to the institute and this should be detailed within any engagement letters that you have.

On a side note, be careful of working in Germany as a contractor. They can be very strict when it comes to taxes and most of the time they want you to be PAYE. And if you haven't they might try to sting you later for a huge tax bill!

A firm with a monthly fee, rather than a general practice will reduce the risk next time of nasty unexpected bills
            Yes that was what I kinda figured out after I my accountant not to bother. This was also a major reason why I chose not to take the job in the end. I'll have a little check to see if they are regulated or not.

Comment

Originally posted by JackOfAllIT View Post
              Thats real helpful
              FYI that emoticon not allowed in professional forums. Mods might not be around - so hopefully you can remove it and I can delete this post.....

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                What work was actually done by your accountant or the German accountant?

It certainly seems like it's ripping the piss to me.
                He wrote an email to a German accountant!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  FYI that emoticon not allowed in professional forums. Mods might not be around - so hopefully you can remove it and I can delete this post.....
                  So the admins should disable it.

And northernladuk should stop making unhelpful / useless posts. He made another post correcting someones use of past / present tense - really? Nothing better to do?

Comment

Originally posted by JackOfAllIT View Post
                    So the admins should disable it.

And northernladuk should stop making unhelpful / useless posts. He made another post correcting someones use of past / present tense - really? Nothing better to do?
                    someone's

Comment

The mods are around.

If you have an issue with someone's post, rather than about it - notify the moderators. If we think it's necessary to take action, we will.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X