• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
    I'm buying a laptop for business purposes

So I'm considering the following scenarios:
    I might will want to buy some soft from this vendor in the future and install on PC. Will I be able to buy and install "home" licensed soft on the laptop bought from them as for the business?

Thank you
    The thing stopping you from installing "Home" versions on the laptop should really be the fact that it isn't a home laptop but a business one. This will be irrespective of whatever the vendor do.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
      On the other -I'll loose all the consumer's rights, so no cancellations/returns etc...
      Anyway consumer rights on laptops are shaky. Unless the laptop explodes, fails etc within 30 days of you receiving it you will find yourself fighting with the retailer especially if it's a well-known high street one.

If the case ever went to court, and the random case does, because you brought it for a business and if there is other evidence that points to that then you have no consumer rights.

Depending on where you are buying the laptop from just get a return to base package add-on for 2 years. Alternatively make sure you know the "local" laptop fixer. Though after 2 years if it breaks it's often more economical to get a new laptop.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I bought my company laptop from dell, the home version was £200 cheaper than the business version, identical spec except the business one had windows pro instead of home.

Asked if that would be an issue, dell guy said no problem. Asked if the warranty would still apply if I bought it as a business, he said yes. I read the contract T&C and there was nothing that said I couldn't claim etc.

Laptop (and accessories, and accidental damage + theft insurance) came to just over £2000.

Bought it through my company. On the VAT flat rate scheme. Reclaimed VAT (only part of the invoice was eligible, I think the extended warranty? or something did not incur VAT), and tax relief.

I use the laptop (an XPS 13) for my accounting stuff and for business related software development.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
          Laptop (and accessories, and accidental damage + theft insurance) came to just over £2000.

Bought it through my company. On the VAT flat rate scheme. Reclaimed VAT (only part of the invoice was eligible, I think the extended warranty? or something did not incur VAT), and tax relief.
          But the portion of the receipt you could claim came to over 2k still?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Before I went onto the flat rate VAT scheme where my company can only reclaim VAT on purchases over £2k I used to purchase laptops and anything IT related via the company, to reclaim the VAT and also reduce pre-tax profit, so also saved the corp tax equivalent on the purchase.

Apart from a time when I had a corporate account with an etailer I always purchased the items in my own name (via personal credit card usually) and expensed them to the company, thereby transferring ownership as far as the accounts were concerned. So as far as the supplier was concerned they were purchased by an individual. As far as my company and accountant was concerned they were owned by the company as a depreciating asset.

What I did with the laptop as far as usage and software installed was 100% up to me. My accountant had no interest in that apart from making sure he had invoices for all purchases (including software) I was claiming as an asset purchase via expensing them to the company.

If I ever had to send the laptop back it would be credited back to the company by way of me being refunded by the supplier and then I would transfer the current book value to the company based on the current state of the depreciating asset.

After 3 years (IIRC) the asset depreciated to zero so I could keep any money from selling it on, as it was classed as 'scrapped' for the accounts.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              But the portion of the receipt you could claim came to over 2k still?
              The invoice including VAT must total £2000 or more, which it did.

However the VAT amount on the invoice wasn't 20%, it was a bit less because some part of it must have not been VAT taxable.
              Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
              X