• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a laptop

I'm buying a laptop for business purposes
    The laptop come up for more than £1000 mark
    The question:
    Should I buy it as a person or register on the vendor's website as a business?
    Are there any consequences buying it as a business from them? In term of how they treat my laptop and me as a customer?

It might sound weird, but nowadays companies always invent spying (or legal tricks) that prevent you doing what you might want need/want to do with your device. So I want to be sure that I won't have issues down the line.

So I'm considering the following scenarios:
    I might will want to buy some soft from this vendor in the future and install on PC. Will I be able to buy and install "home" licensed soft on the laptop bought from them as for the business?

Buying as a business will it affect how the laptop is being registered with them/any extra soft they might lock straight away at the point of sell as to commercial-license only.

For example they won't sell/allow to install some soft that has home license.
    or if I need to do anything personal, I might will need to install free for non-commercial use soft..can it affect the warranty (for example will be cancelled as it's a "business" laptop for them)?

Thank you

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
    I'm buying a laptop for business purposes
    The laptop come up for more than £1000 mark
    The question:
    Should I buy it as a person or register on the vendor's website as a business?
    Are there any consequences buying it as a business from them? In term of how they treat my laptop and me as a customer?

It might sound weird, but nowadays companies always invent spying (or legal tricks) that prevent you doing what you might want need/want to do with your device. So I want to be sure that I won't have issues down the line.

So I'm considering the following scenarios:
    I might will want to buy some soft from this vendor in the future and install on PC. Will I be able to buy and install "home" licensed soft on the laptop bought from them as for the business?

Buying as a business will it affect how the laptop is being registered with them/any extra soft they might lock straight away at the point of sell as to commercial-license only.

For example they won't sell/allow to install some soft that has home license.
    or if I need to do anything personal, I might will need to install free for non-commercial use soft..can it affect the warranty (for example will be cancelled as it's a "business" laptop for them)?

Thank you
    Worry more about how you are going to expense and and square it with your accountant than about security aspects.

Registering it as a business helps to prove that it's a company laptop.

If you that worried, buy and then wipe and reformat it before using it.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

He said that there will be no issue, they'll just depreciate it as an asset
      What's the problem with the accounting????

Comment

He said that there will be no issue, they'll just depreciate it as an asset
        What's the problem with the accounting????
        It's not a problem, it's just knowing who's going to pay the VAT. Who is paying for the laptop, you or the company? If it's you you'll have to add it to your P11D.

If you're worried about security, just wipe and reformat.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

The company is paying. Its a business laptop as I've mentioned

Comment

The company is paying. Its a business laptop as I've mentioned
            Can there be any reason doing it via P11D?

Comment

Forget the accounting bit.

The company is paying for it.

If you're worried about security reformat the laptop before you use it.

Comment

One other thing to be aware of - most consumer protection rights don't extend to businesses.

Comment

So the question is still open. Is it better to register with the supplier as a private person or a business? Any pros/cons/advice?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    One other thing to be aware of - most consumer protection rights don't extend to businesses.
                    Thank you! Good point. Apparently this can be an issue
                    So :
                    On the one hand: I can buy on my own name and claim expenses via company, but for obvious reasons It's better to have an invoice on the company name and keep taxman happy
                    On the other -I'll loose all the consumer's rights, so no cancellations/returns etc...
                    Last edited by Goggy; 21 February 2016, 16:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X