• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Irish contracting on the uk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish contracting on the uk

Hi
    I'm an Irish contractor working in the UK under an umbrella company. Under the umbrella I can write off a number of expenses including accommodation (property in my name in Ireland), travel to and from work and food. A number of other expenses can be written off such as airline ticket to and from Ireland (permanent place of residence).

Just recently I have secured a pay rise but need to find some way to try and reduce my tax bill. Can anyone suggest other things to write off so to speak. I was thinking about pension contributions, software such as mobile phone and iPad which can be classed as necessary items for work.

Is this the best way to do this under the umbrella or would anyone suggest perhaps setting up a limited company?

Any suggestions would be great.

It's going to get even worse in April. What's the sdc status of the contract/engagement? You'll probably not be able to write off your expenses under an umbrella. And maybe not under limited company either.

That said a limited co is *normally* going to be much more tax efficient.

Comment

When you say expenses do you just mean travel expenses?

I am employed through oyster partnership and use azebra as an umbrella company to sort out my taxes etc.

Would you suggest setting up a limited company? Would this allow me write off my travel etc and be more tax efficient?

Comment

Originally posted by Irishbar View Post
        Would you suggest setting up a limited company? Would this allow me write off my travel etc and be more tax efficient?
        Generally speaking, yes but there are caveats.

Comment

Such as??

Can you or anyone suggest an accountant that is versed on the contractor scene??

In the meantime can you suggest someways that I can safe in my tax bill while I'm still under the umbrella? Electrics? Pensions??

Any advice in relation to either would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Such as??

Can you or anyone suggest an accountant that is versed on the contractor.
            Such as if you're subject to SDC or inside IR35 the limited company route might not be worth the hassle.

Yes, I can suggest an accountant who is versed on the contractor but modesty prevents me from doing so. Google the bit of my user name after the @ might get you somewhere.

Comment

Apologises for my lack of intuition on this.

I have googled the said company and hopefully will be able to organise a telephone conversation tomorrow so assess the best route for me.

Comment

Apologises for my lack of intuition on this.

I have googled the said company and hopefully will be able to organise a telephone conversation tomorrow so assess the best route for me.
                Anyone you see with @ google the last part of their name as it is a company. There are a few accountants on these boards who give decent advice.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Anyone you see with @ google the last part of their name as it is a company. There are a few accountants on these boards who give decent advice.
                  Indeed there are! All of whom will be able to help discuss SDC rules in April 2016.

Plus chat through your circumstances to see the right option for you going forwards

Comment

There are plenty accountants out there so speak to a few, see who you get on with best and see which offer the service tailored to suit you.

Post 6 April 2016 new rules so you will want to factor this into any decision , as mentioned SDC or Inside IR35.

Comment

Working...
                    X