• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Verbal contract extension - Does it hold?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your comments - looks like you've all agreed that I have a strong case, and should take it all the way. Exactly what I wanted to read..

Seriously though - agreed about t&m, or lack of, however I have worked a few days within the new contract and can justify some more with various materials (docs, plans, etc). I don't think I *need* to but I can if required.

I'm also well aware of the relationship challenge in terms of agency\client. Would have to thread carefully and try to get a compromise as suggested. Furthermore, as the new verbal contract went into effect when the new term started, I think there's a possibility that the notice becomes valid.

This is not how I wanted the contract to end, and as such think that I should pursue an amicable agreement, but am ready to move on if it doesn't.

And lastly @slipthejab - a small piece of advice *free of charge*... If you've got nothing constructive to add, move on. no need for personal mockery.

Comment

Remember your 1 month's notice is the notice from the agency not the client. There is often a clause in the contract that you will not be paid if the client has no work.

You need to check that, if it states that, not worth chasing up.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Two words of "free" advice, from me.

Forget it.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Two words of "free" advice, from me.

Forget it.
          But Mark.... that's NOT the answer he was looking for....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nc11 View Post
            Thanks for your comments - looks like you've all agreed that I have a strong case, and should take it all the way. Exactly what I wanted to read..

Seriously though - agreed about t&m, or lack of, however I have worked a few days within the new contract and can justify some more with various materials (docs, plans, etc). I don't think I *need* to but I can if required.

I'm also well aware of the relationship challenge in terms of agency\client. Would have to thread carefully and try to get a compromise as suggested. Furthermore, as the new verbal contract went into effect when the new term started, I think there's a possibility that the notice becomes valid.

This is not how I wanted the contract to end, and as such think that I should pursue an amicable agreement, but am ready to move on if it doesn't.

And lastly @slipthejab - a small piece of advice *free of charge*... If you've got nothing constructive to add, move on. no need for personal mockery.
            You're new to CUK right

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              But Mark.... that's NOT the answer he was looking for....
              And its not very constructive either

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                And its not very constructive either
                Funny.....I thought it was....I was thinking of the OP's mental well being, continuing to believe he has a chance with this may set him back
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

ignoring the mockery from the rest, there are some important lessons here for you

1. anything to do with your contract (rate/terms/extensions), you have to get it in writing, never presume verbal will be ok or that a good relationship with the client means you don't need to formalise it, you do, every time
                  2. don't work without a written contract that has been signed. Again while you might have a good relationship with the client and you worked that first week of the extension, you now have no legal standing as you shouldn't have been there. It sounds risky to annoy the client by simply saying "i'm not turning up tomorrow" but sometimes that's the quickest way to get them to sort it out

you can try and get paid for the days worked, but I'd be surprised if you got anything for the "notice period", as others have said, you only get paid for time worked

Comment

Notice period/severance clause is a precise thing laid out in a contract.
                    Do not confuse notice period with an obligation to pay you anything. Most larger places will have you work your notice but smaller places typically make up some excuse to get you offsite (typically you'll get 10-15 minutes to complete your timesheets and clear you desk). Not a hard and fast rule but their the most common. If you're reporting in to the CEO or equivalent then your most likely in the second category. Suck it up and move on; I'd imagine it's happened to a significant percentage of long term contractors at some point.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    But Mark.... that's NOT the droids he was looking for....
                    FTFY, too tempting.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Notice period/severance clause is a precise thing laid out in a contract.
                      Do not confuse notice period with an obligation to pay you anything. Most larger places will have you work your notice but smaller places typically make up some excuse to get you offsite (typically you'll get 10-15 minutes to complete your timesheets and clear you desk). Not a hard and fast rule but their the most common. If you're reporting in to the CEO or equivalent then your most likely in the second category. Suck it up and move on; I'd imagine it's happened to a significant percentage of long term contractors at some point.

FTFY, too tempting.
                      Does this mean that the contractor can also stop the assignment from one day to another, and step out of the contract with no notice at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X