• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Digital Product Manager / Product Owner - What flat rate do I fit into?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghuznee View Post
    A product manager investigates, selects, and drives the development of products for an company. Usually to help drive online acquisition, improve brand.

Eg: It might be building some functionality for an app or some marketing activity (improve the customer journey to help increase transactions.

OK, so my bit about not using buzzwords seems to have failed.

Investigates: research. Means nothing
    Selects: Purchases, decision maker
    Drives: chauffeur. Means nothing
    Development of products: Manufacturing
    Online Acquisition: Purchasing. eBay is quite good for online acquisitions.
    Improve brand: Means nothing
    "Building some functionality for an app": if it doesn't have functionality it isn't an application.
    "Some marketing activity": Standing on Regent's Street advertising a golf sale?
    "Improve the customer journey": If you don't work in travel, customers don't go on journeys.
    "Help increase transactions": Sell more.

So, you work in advertising/marketing.
    Or do you work as an analyst who analyses all the above vapourware and then makes suggestions
    Or are you working on the technology in the background, i.e. providing consultancy services around IT?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A Product Manager is the customer. The voice of the business. Decides on product road map, requirements priority. Works with the BA but less technical.

Comment

Product manager is a fairly recent new career hence why it won't be in HMRC's list.

I'd say IT or management consultancy - remember you'll get a 1% discount in the first year.

Comment

Pick the lowest one you think you can reasonably get away with and be prepared to argue it if the worst happens.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
            Product manager is a fairly recent new career hence why it won't be in HMRC's list.

I'd say IT or management consultancy - remember you'll get a 1% discount in the first year.
            Surely, it's not about the job title it's about the industry\trade sector as you could be a product manager in a number of sectors. Also, as an IT contractor say contracted to a retailer I doubt you could put down retailing (4%), and of course your next contract might be a firm in transportation making your category incorrect.

So if you're in IT the ones you choose could be:

Computer and IT consultancy or data processing - the obvious one
            •Data processing and database activities Hardware and software consultants
            •Software publishing
            14.5%

Computer repair services - might need to buy many bits to prove you're fixing stuff
            •Computer repairs
            10.5%

Maybe:

Management consultancy - saves 0.5%
            •Business consultancy
            •Financial consultancy
            •Management consultancy
            •Public relations

14%

Comment

Product owner/manager is most definitely not a BA. It's quite a distinct role and people who do it can come from an IT background, but many don't.

If your a product manager and that product is mainly an IT product, then I think it would be difficult to choose advertising for FRV, unless maybe you're consulting exclusively in the advertising sector.

Looking at the list, I would think the only other applicable category would be Management Consultancy, which is only half a % better for you. I'd say this would only work if your responsible for stuff outside of IT though. So if you're there to make decisions on and prioritise product features, but also have a say in how that product is marketed, distributed and priced, then this might be more suitable.

Comment

startegic marketing -FRS

VAT Flat Rate for Marketing Consultant | AccountingWEB

Comment

Working...
                X