• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take a big dividend this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a big dividend this year?

I currently have around £220K in my company and have already taken salary and dividends up to the higher rate tax limit. I'm mulling over whether I should take out a large additional dividend to bring my annual income up to £100K and take the 25% hit because:

1. If I take it out in later years at basic rate I will pay 7.5% (and if I end up taking it out via ER I will pay 10%) so it's actually only costing me 17.5%. Plus there is a risk that the 7.5% will increase in the future.
    2. With interest rates currently low having a mortgage isn't costing me much but if/when interest rates rise having the cash outside the company to pay off the mortgage becomes more attractive and I could get a better return on the cash outside the company anyway.
    3. I don't have much in the way of personal savings outside the company (apart from in ISAs that I don't want to touch) and I might need to draw money out over the higher rate tax limit in future years, which would obviously cost me more than if I took it out now.

On the other hand it would be an annoying amount of tax to have to pay and future circumstances might be such that I can just keep on taking out £40K a year! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

What did your wife say?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What did your wife say?
      No wife/significant other. Not close to retirement so can't get it out quickly via pension. Accountant just says more tax efficient to keep on taking £40K a year out until close the company but that could be a long way off.

Comment

I was being a little tongue in cheek as my standard line is asking accountants but I think in this case I would be factoring a lifestyle choice in over tax efficiency.

There is more than enough money there to not have to let the tax tail wag the dog. If I had that kind of money in the business I'd be quite happily taking a tax hit to enjoy my personal life... If you've no significant other half you' best enjoy it while you can....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If I had your problem, I would take it out now also...

Comment

Trouble is taking a wodge over the lower rate means you have to also pay next years tax on account as well so it's like being taxed at 80% in a way....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Trouble is taking a wodge over the lower rate means you have to also pay next years tax on account as well so it's like being taxed at 80% in a way....
              Only if you don't reduce the payment on account (i.e. because you don't plan to take a large dividend the next year). If you're wrong, you'll pay interest on the difference, of course.

Comment

If you don't need the money I'd be tempted to leave it in the business until you do need it.

Comment

If you don't need it then leave it alone. IMHO. at the moment the reason everyone is fed up is because the higher rate will be 32% not 25% but if George gets his way then the higher rate threshold will go up to 50k and you will be able to take more out at the lower 7% tax threshold.

Comment

I risked it and bumped by income to £100k. I didn't think about the tax on account thing. Too late now! I guess I'll get it back eventually. If my circumstances change I could live to regret it of course

Comment

Working...
                    X